Rectification of 5 megaamps current

Javier Lopez 1

Joined May 21, 2019
Hello, my electric generator generates pulses of 5 megaamps that are almost half sinusoidal of 45khz frequency. There are 10 pulses per second.

I need to rectify that to store the energy in a capacitor bank.

What are the higher inrush current/dollar diodes or scrs?

Best regards,
Javier

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Digikey list diodes rated up to 12000A only, so allowing for a bit of headroom you'd need a few hundred of those at £296 each. You must have deep pockets!

Last edited:

Javier Lopez 1

Joined May 21, 2019
A half sine is the positive part. The voltage I measured was 550V, but I suppose it can go up to 1kV
I charged a large can 500V 24 millifarads capacitor to 550 volts in ten microseconds

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
How do you work out 5 mega amps ?
when you say generator, I first assumed a generator, petrol in , power out,
but I'm guessing its not that sort,

Any info on what your generator is
sound interesting.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
A half sine is the positive part. The voltage I measured was 550V, but I suppose it can go up to 1kV
I charged a large can 500V 24 millifarads capacitor to 550 volts in ten microseconds
The average current over that charging time is only 1.3 Megaamps. I think you would be best off to start talking with rectifier manufacturers because what you are looking for is probably going to be pretty special and not on distributor shelves.

Companies like Vishay, Plating Machine (+86 176 0674 3988), ABB (up to 550,000 amps https://new.abb.com/power-electronics/high-power-rectifiers), and I am sure you can find many others doing a search of the internet. I suggest you contact their sales departments by telephone to get the best answers.

Javier Lopez 1

Joined May 21, 2019
I use plasma to charge the capacitor in the half part of the semi sine, but in the second part it is discharged, then I need the energy to stay there to be used outside. I should need the spice model to make the simulation.

Javier Lopez 1

Joined May 21, 2019
I obtain the energy from Pulsotron-4 fusion reactor, I obtained the 4.5 MA at 10% of its maximum power. I am trying to ´slow down the pulse to have more time to recover the energy and have fewer amps (amps=-C*dV/dt, as larger dt fewer amps)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I obtain the energy from Pulsotron-4 fusion reactor, I obtained the 4.5 MA at 10% of its maximum power. I am trying to ´slow down the pulse to have more time to recover the energy and have fewer amps (amps=-C*dV/dt, as larger dt fewer amps)
Do you seriously think that this is the right place to be asking questions on your cutting edge project?

Javier Lopez 1

Joined May 21, 2019
In other way following DickCappels recomendations I went to Vishay and say that high power rectifiers have non repetitive surge currents of >30kA, but not said nothing about repetitive ones, I should speak to Vishay or Infineon, I suppose.

In another way if there is a method to enlarge the pulse to a wider one without losing energy, it would be great