Recommendations for well pump switching circuit

SxyWood

Joined Oct 8, 2017
I have a water well and am needing to replace the pressure switch for a 3rd time in 10 years. I am thinking about replacing the pressure switch with a new mechanical switch like I currently have but to also add a solid state relay to the mix. The problem is the contact points are constantly wearing down and build up a residue of carbon that does not allow a connection to occur and the circuit to close.

I am wanting to find a 240 volt or higher rated solid state relay to handle the high starting and running amperage of the well motor.

I am thinking I can use a doorbell transformer wired to the line side of the relay for low voltage AC to go to the line side of the pressure switch. Once the call for water is made the pressure switch will close the circuit and turn on the SSR.

Is my logic sound or unreasonable?

SxyWood

Joined Oct 8, 2017
I do not have the specs of the motor but it is a 240 volt pump and wired to a 20 amp 240 volt circuit. I haven’t looked at any specific equipment yet. It was a thought a typed out and it sounds like it should work fine. I was hoping someone might have any input on any pros or cons of either way.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
In 30+ years I have only had to replace my well pump's pressure switch one time and that was because ants got into it. Are your hi/lo pressures set correctly to prevent short-cycling? Is your pump drawing too much current and burning up the contacts? Do you have ESD surge suppression near the switch? A good quality pump pressure switch should have a 25 year MTBF (mean time before failure) if it's not short cycling

Edit: Is your tank waterlogged and causing short-cycling?

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
How big is you pressure tank?
The may be too little air in the tank or the air bladder may have leaked causing short cycling.
Have you determined how often the pump cycles?

SxyWood

Joined Oct 8, 2017
I don’t have the paperwork from the pump anymore. When we bought the house 10 years ago I had to replace it.

My pressure tank probably should be upgraded to a larger one. I planned on checking the bladder pressure when I change the switch out.

SxyWood

Joined Oct 8, 2017
I have not checked how many times it cycles. How would I do that? It doesn’t short cycle like it did when I first bought the place. Back then I was new to wells and didn’t know the house had been winterized and the bladder was drained of the air pressure.

I am assuming it cycles “normally” when the pressure tank is low and the pressure drops to 30 psi.