Recommendations for learning electronics

Duddy5683

Joined Jan 25, 2023
Hi everyone again I'm new to this electronic world kind of but my interest is so peaked I want to do a lot of things like make my own surveillance camera and cool little gadgets but I don't know where to begin I don't know what components to get can I get alot of components out of old electronics I'm looking for some guidance I think my ambition is much more thN my knowledge and I want to learn so my question is where should I start what components should I buy to start doing stuff is there a website recommended to read and learn I'm open to all the info and advice u guys got thank u

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The more curious you are about how and why things work, and the more time you spend trying to understand these things, the faster the knowledge will come to you and the more useful it will be.

You might also take an introductory course if one is available to you.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Welcome to a very interesting and useful realm. Electrical and electronic technology can be both fun and profitable.
And welcome to AAC.
Amazingly enough, there are quite a few introductory books about electrical circuits and electronics. Used textbooks are a great source of material, and if they are slightly out of date then they can be really cheap. And the best part is that none of the basics have changed in many years. The last big change was when condensers became capacitors, back about 1958, I think.
And starting with the fundamentals, while not quite as exciting, will give you a great foundation so that you can avoid some of the errors that some beginners make.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I want to do a lot of things like make my own surveillance camera
It's great that you want to learn how things work and make some for yourself, but you should bear in mind that anything you make is going to be significantly more expensive than anything that you could buy and won't have the same fit and finish.
I get alot of components out of old electronics I'm looking for some guidance I think my ambition is much more thN my knowledge
Salvaging components from discarded things is an inexpensive way to build up a stock of components but be aware that not all salvaged components will be functional. That could add some unwanted troubleshooting to your projects. As a beginner, buy whatever you can from reputable places (Jameco, Mouser, Newark, Digikey) and avoid ones that aren't (e.g. Ali Express, Ebay, Amazon).
is there a website recommended to read and learn
It depends on what you want to do. At the very minimum, you're going to need to study DC theory (series/parallel, KCL, KVL, etc). Then you'll need to study semiconductors (diodes, BJTs, MOSFETs). Then how they're used (amplifiers, opamps, comparators, voltage regulators, etc). You'll also need digital logic.

If you plan on using microcontrollers, which a surveillance camera would require, you'll need to be able to program and learn how to use them.

If it sounds like you could be trying to drink from a firehose, you will be. Many of us went to school for years to learn how to do this stuff. Trying to learn it on your own isn't a small undertaking.

I'd suggest that you start with something less ambitious. Maybe a power supply or LED blinker (discrete astable oscillator, 555 timer, etc).

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It's great that you want to learn how things work and make some for yourself, but you should bear in mind that anything you make is going to be significantly more expensive than anything that you could buy and won't have the same fit and finish.

Salvaging components from discarded things is an inexpensive way to build up a stock of components but be aware that not all salvaged components will be functional. That could add some unwanted troubleshooting to your projects. As a beginner, buy whatever you can from reputable places (Jameco, Mouser, Newark, Digikey) and avoid ones that aren't (e.g. Ali Express, Ebay, Amazon).
It depends on what you want to do. At the very minimum, you're going to need to study DC theory (series/parallel, KCL, KVL, etc). Then you'll need to study semiconductors (diodes, BJTs, MOSFETs). Then how they're used (amplifiers, opamps, comparators, voltage regulators, etc). You'll also need digital logic.

If you plan on using microcontrollers, which a surveillance camera would require, you'll need to be able to program and learn how to use them.

If it sounds like you could be trying to drink from a firehose, you will be. Many of us went to school for years to learn how to do this stuff. Trying to learn it on your own isn't a small undertaking.

I'd suggest that you start with something less ambitious. Maybe a power supply or LED blinker (discrete astable oscillator, 555 timer, etc).
This is why I suggested a text book!! There is so very much useless stuff on the internet, much of t coming from those with stuff to sell, like tiny processor boards, that a person can become confused.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It's a matter of perspective. I remember that in the early 1960's (In Northern California if that makes a difference) we were already calling them capacitors. The term "condenser" seemed like a foreign word that meant "capacitor", but I had become accustomed to reading the term in amateur radio magazines and handbooks going back toward the early 1900's.

Every spark transmitter had at least one condenser.