Receiver or transceiver

gilblais

Joined Sep 24, 2012
Need to signal a 'device' (that will be attached to an inventory unit) within a 300 +- square foot dimly lit area that will light up brightly or sound loud enough for the inventory unit to be located. WI-FI signal to be sent from server located anywhere within the area.
Some of the inventory units have 12V DC batteries available as a power source and I would like to prototype the system with these units as a proof-of -concept. Other units will require some form of battery power. Each device will need a unique identifier and can number over a thousand. Need least expensive and dependable configuration since there are multiple geographic locations.
The scene is that a picker will select a list of items using a intranet based tablet (or ??), which will sequentially signal where to find each item (signal will be sent from local server at each geographic location)
I have the WEB based software completed to the level that the picker can generate the needed inventory list and I can do the remaining software once the 'device' and communication methodology are known and working.
I need help with the communications infrastructure and programming to send a signal as previously described and the associated required electronics.
I hope that I am not dreaming here. Thank you in advance for any help.
Regards, Gil Blais

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Need to signal a 'device' (that will be attached to an inventory unit) within a 300 +- square foot dimly lit area that will light up brightly or sound loud enough for the inventory unit to be located. WI-FI signal to be sent from server located anywhere within the area.
Some of the inventory units have 12V DC batteries available as a power source and I would like to prototype the system with these units as a proof-of -concept. Other units will require some form of battery power. Each device will need a unique identifier and can number over a thousand. Need least expensive and dependable configuration since there are multiple geographic locations.
The scene is that a picker will select a list of items using a intranet based tablet (or ??), which will sequentially signal where to find each item (signal will be sent from local server at each geographic location)
I have the WEB based software completed to the level that the picker can generate the needed inventory list and I can do the remaining software once the 'device' and communication methodology are known and working.
I need help with the communications infrastructure and programming to send a signal as previously described and the associated required electronics.
I hope that I am not dreaming here. Thank you in advance for any help.
Regards, Gil Blais

You need to describe what an inventory unit is (a fork truck, a robot, an RFID tag, ???).

Also, are you sure of your dimensions? 300 sq. ft. is only 17'4" x 17'4". I can find that with only a few scans - unless it is yesterday's sox or underwear on my bedroom floor.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Whats wrong with proper shelf/aisle/bin labeling and a pick list (either paper or tablet based)?
A simple barcode label at each bin and a wrist worn scan/verify system is far more cost effective (and just as error-proof as any visual bin scheme)

Your dreaming if you expect this on a silver platter..
You want us to develop a multi-location wireless visual poka yoke inventory picking system for you?
I'd charge thousands of dollars for that..

Do you know any programming?
Hardware design?
Database?

What is your background/skill set?

and yes.. 300 sq ft... please... thats got to be wrong

gilblais

Joined Sep 24, 2012
You need to describe what an inventory unit is (a fork truck, a robot, an RFID tag, ???).

Also, are you sure of your dimensions? 300 sq. ft. is only 17'4" x 17'4". I can find that with only a few scans - unless it is yesterday's sox or underwear on my bedroom floor.

gilblais

Joined Sep 24, 2012
Whats wrong with proper shelf/aisle/bin labeling and a pick list (either paper or tablet based)?
A simple barcode label at each bin and a wrist worn scan/verify system is far more cost effective (and just as error-proof as any visual bin scheme)

Your dreaming if you expect this on a silver platter..
You want us to develop a multi-location wireless visual poka yoke inventory picking system for you?
I'd charge thousands of dollars for that..

Do you know any programming?
Hardware design?
Database?

What is your background/skill set?

and yes.. 300 sq ft... please... thats got to be wrong

gilblais

Joined Sep 24, 2012
Yes, I have significant software skills (C/C++, Java, Javascript, PHP 7, HTML5, CSS3, IBM Assembler and a few more older ones, since I am quite old). I have extensive MySQL experience also. I put the first database on the Trident submarine for the US Navy.
I am not trying to take advantage of anyone here - just a guy who came to this forum looking for help from folks who have the skillsets that I am totally lacking. If I have come to the wrong place, let me know please.
You are right, the dimensions are incorrect. They should read that it is a football field square - 300 feet x 300 feet.

gilblais

Joined Sep 24, 2012
Answering these statements: "Whats wrong with proper shelf/aisle/bin labeling and a pick list (either paper or tablet based)?
A simple barcode label at each bin and a wrist worn scan/verify system is far more cost effective (and just as error-proof as any visual bin scheme)"

Think of used items on wheels like a motorcycle/lawn mower/etc that will be moved each time a customer wants to see/start it up,etc in a warehouse a football field square. Allocating designated space for them doesn't work since the volumes vary too greatly so they are placed at the first open spot - that will not change.

The goal is not to scan them when found, the goal is to find them in a sea of items.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Off the shelf systems already exist.. and the cost/number of "tags" needed will dictate if you should move forward on your own or just buy something already out there..
RFID is probably the solution to go after.
possibly BLE if you can attach multiple "locator" devices to get around the distance limitation..

cheap wifi microcontrollers are out there now too.. something like the ESP8266 module can be had for $2 or less and depending on the number of tags you need it "might" be worth it to develop your own solution..
A database to capture the MAC address or IP address and tie that to the product.. Then a lookup/alert function.