Recapping Question(s)

hifinatic

Joined Mar 19, 2008
Hi folks,
I'm new to AAC and have a question about recapping my Technics ST-9030 FM Stereo Tuner. I've been searching the web for possible replacements but I'm having trouble finding exact microfarad & voltage combination. Microfarad is easier but voltage is tuffer. For example, I need a 470mf 16v but all I can find is a 470mf 25v. Is there a plus/minus rule in mf and voltage when replacing these capacitors? Another question. What's a suitable replacement for power supply caps and audio path caps. Any useful information is appreciated. Thanks in advance for any replies.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The only problem you might encounter with replacing a 470 uF cap with a higher voltage rated one is in the space for it. An electrolytic capacitor with a higher voltage rating may have a greater diameter, and so may not fit into the space available. Lead spacing may also be a problem, as different capacitors may have different dimensions.

In general, if it will fit into the space available, then a higher voltage rating makes no difference. If it's a filter for the power supply, a larger capacity won't hurt, either.

There can be so many different types of capacitor in the "audio path" that I couldn't begin to guess about replacements. Do you have a specific concern about any such capacitor?

hifinatic

Joined Mar 19, 2008
Hi beenthere,
Thanks very much for you informative reply. I guess the next step for me is to decide what manufacturer to choose. I've read that Black Gates are excellent but have discontinued production. How are the Elna's and Nichicon's? I'm looking for more of an wide open soundstage with little coloration. My main musical interests are jazz (the real stuff) and classical (small ensembles such as chamber music etc.). Any suggestions and opinions are gratefully welcomed.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Mallory discontinued Black cats some time ago. I usually use Panasonic polyester film caps. I have used Nichicons, but either electrolytics or bipolars.

I would suggest that speakers do as much as any part of the sound system. If they sound right - a purely subjective assessment - the everything else doesn't matter as much. I'm still running a pair of Bose 901's. Never heard anything sound better.

Don't forget a headphone amp. Class A is the only way to go. Helps keep the room warm in winter, too.

Some people insist that tube amps are just it. I built a Mike Leach Superamp with BJT's and can't see how anything could sound better. I also use op amps in my preamp.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You'll find this page interesting and informative: "The Sound of Capacitors"
http://members.aol.com/sbench102/caps.html
Looks like the polycarbonate caps are nearly as good as paper/oil caps.

I have a 14-year-old Technics surround-sound system with the "new class A" 120w+120w amp, that cost me right at $1,200 w/speakers when I bought it (I added a turntable to play my vinyl LPs.) It has less than 0.05% THD. I have yet to hear a better-sounding stereo system that can be purchased off-the-shelf at anywhere near that price range.