Recapping - Need help identifying capacitor manufacturer

OkotoksModeller

Joined Mar 31, 2020
Hey guys

I'm replacing several caps on a circuit board due to damaged casings, venting electrolyte, etc, and need help identifying a manufacturer, so I can find a datasheet and make sure the replacements match as closely as possible to the originals.

I've attached pictures of one of the caps. Capacitance and voltage rating are obvious of course, but what isn't so obvious is who made them. It's probably some Chinese manufacturer, but there isn't much to go on that I can tell. Dimensions are 8mm x 10mm, 3.5mm pin pitch.

Also, the photo of the negative stripe is of a different physical capacitor, but it is identical in every way to the problem one, and I figured I'd include it anyways to be thorough.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
With electrolytic's in a DC circuit you really only need the uf value and the voltage, and buy from a known quality dealer.
If the item marking are clear, that should be all you need.
In many cases where the P.S. is unregulated, you find voltage values that are somewhat low for the circuit, causing premature failure of the cap.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What I do is use a known quality vendor and when looking up an item for a particular circuit, is to check out the manuf. application sheet, i.e. suitability for the circuit in mind, e.g. linear and switching supplies etc.
Max.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Also, pay attention to the Temperature rating if necessary. Never hurts to go up in the Voltage rating for a failed cap.

OkotoksModeller

Joined Mar 31, 2020
What I do is use a known quality vendor and when looking up an item for a particular circuit, is to check out the manuf. application sheet, i.e. suitability for the circuit in mind, e.g. linear and switching supplies etc.
Max.
Well, this is for an audio/video board. In any case I usually default to Rubycon or Panasonic capacitors when I can

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It's probably some Chinese manufacturer, but there isn't much to go on that I can tell. Dimensions are 8mm x 10mm, 3.5mm pin pitch.
Manufacturer isn't important unless you're worried about quality or counterfeiting. Just get a cap with the same physical dimensions, capacitance, voltage, and temperature rating.

Higher voltage in the same package or more capacitance in the same package aren't necessarily good. A higher voltage rating in the same package could mean that the manufacturer is using less safety margin. Higher capacitance could cause problems with inrush current.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As per post #2, I have seen some manuf voltage size pretty close,e.g. was a recent treadmill board that had an unregulated supply, the voltage measured 16v, the cap fitted was a 16v !
The cap already had a bulging top.
I use Digikey for quality suppliers.
Max.

OkotoksModeller

Joined Mar 31, 2020
As per post #2, I have seen some manuf voltage size pretty close,e.g. was a recent treadmill board that had an unregulated supply, the voltage measured 16v, the cap fitted was a 16v !
I use Digikey for quality suppliers.
Max.
Wow. No margin there! In this case, the line voltage is 12v.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Wow. No margin there! In this case, the line voltage is 12v.
Well ...

Electrolytic capacitors are formed at a voltage higher than their nominal rating and, technically, they're designed to operate at 100% of the rated voltage. By lowering the operating voltage and operating at a lower temperature, lifetime is increased.