RCA Protocol

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
I was curious and began scouring the web for information on the protocol for RCA connectors (Yellow White Red) that controls video and audio on televisions. Unfortunately after quite some time I began to wonder if I'd ever find it, all I see is consumer related information. Anyone know where I can find information on how this controls the video and audio for televisions?

EDIT:
I am interested in the communications protocol that happens to use the RCA connectors to send the data. I'm sure it's called something else, as you can see by my ignorance. I would like information on what the video composite signal is and how it controls the video on a television, with specific details.

Last edited:

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
I think your are confusing things. RCA types connectors are some of the connectors used in audio and vido equipment.
A Telecommunication Protocol is a set of rules to exchange data... I am not sure what you mean.

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
I am interested in the communications protocol that happens to use the RCA connectors to send the data. I'm sure it's called something else, as you can see by my ignorance. I would like information on what the video composite signal is and how it controls the video on a television, with specific details.

Last edited:

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
The RCA connectors do not have a communication protocol; the signals flowing trough them may. And can be anything; audio, video, a battery charger, a sensor, radiofrequency, a relay driving, digital stream, a safety interlock, a pacemaker, or whatever you want to interconnect.

RCA is a connector developed by the Radio Corporation of America over half a century ago and its use is not restricted to certain signals.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The video signal is defined by RS-170A.
The video itself is analog, and indexes for the start of lines and fields are contained in embedded pulses. Color information is conveyed via a pair of double sideband signals, whose suppressed carriers are in quadrature. Oh, it gets awfully ugly.

This article explains it pretty well.
http://www.electronicstheory.com/html/vidsig.htm