rat trap

legepe

Joined May 11, 2016
Hi all.. I have a problem with rat infestation in my garage and I want to make an electronic trap
Does anyone know if this will work, or if not any suggestions on what will?
Connect this boost module to wires evenly spread across a wooden board, then put bait across it so when rat walks on it, it will be electrocuted
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22444822...,osub=osub,crd=crd,segname=segname,chnl=mkcid
Any advice much appreciated
Thanks
legepe

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I can't see how you could make one that would cleanly and humanely kill a rat without it being a real danger to you. the module you referenced would probably hurt the rat badly and cripple it for life, but is unlikely to kill it outright.

You should be able to buy the traditional wire cage rat trap with a spring loaded door very inexpensively. After capture you can decide whether to kill the rat or release it far from your premesis.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
At 4.2V and 2 amps that equates to 8.4 watts. Conversely, and assuming an efficiency of 100%, 8.4 watts at 2000 volts = 4.2 milliamps. They say it takes just 6mA to kill a person. Provided it crosses their heart. From finger to finger on a hand it's going to hurt but not kill. And remember, that was at 100%.

Where did I get the 2 amps from? Aliexpress has this: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32974045241.html I wasn't able to get more information from that page; just that it runs on "Input current: up to :about 2A". I couldn't find anything on efficiency ratings, but it's not 100% for sure. You're only going to hurt animals. Possibly yourself, but I doubt anything is going to die from that.

I set up a "Cat Snapper" where a particular cat liked to mark. Captured on video - the cat got zapped and ran like the wind. Uninjured and ever more determined to mark elsewhere. I said elsewhere. He still comes around and marks. Maybe next time I'll - um - never mind. Treatment of animals in a humane way is more important than the annoyances they bring. You wouldn't kill deer just because they eat your plants. They're just doing what comes natural.

legepe

Joined May 11, 2016
Hi everyone and thanks for all your replies... On second thought and after what you have said i will look at a more traditional way to get rid of the rats, the trap proposed by sensacell looks promising
Thanks again
legepe

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have been asked to repair a commercially available electronic rat trap. It used a motion detector to trigger a high voltage inverter that electrocuted the rat almost instantly. But the logic IC that controlled all of it has failed, and no clue about what the replacement is. Homebrew high voltage stuff is dangerous.
I have designed an alternative system that provides an automatic clear and reload function and uses compressed air to launch the rat to it's demise. The rat exits backward at about 100 feet per second and impacts a solid stop, and then drops into a bucket for disposal. The bucket may need to be emptied a few times a day.

The rat crawls into a 4 foot section of 2 inch plastic pipe, heading toward the bait that it smells inside, in a branched compartment. But just before reaching that compartment the rat breaks a light beam, which the light sensor circuit then operates a solenoid air valve, delivering a 2 second blast of 100PSI air from a small tank. This propell the rat into the hard spot, or possibly a carefully placed knife edge. Then the rat drops into the bucket for disposal, As soon as the air valve shuts off, the trap is ready for the next rat.
This was originally designed to protect grain in large warehouses in other parts of the world, and the rats would simply be launched into the bay next to the warehouse. It was called "The Ratapallt."

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A far more detailed description of the Ratapault can be provided if you want to build one. It does need a source of 100PSI compressed air, but the flow requirements are fairly low, and a source of electrical power to operate the air valve and the small light source. But it is totally non-toxic and so the rats are OK for vultures and other carrion eaters, or as fertilizer.