Raspberry Pi wireless button 'HELP'

cararh88

Joined Sep 9, 2018
Hello everyone,

my name is Cara and I'm an occupational therapist. I would like some help/advice with a project I am doing for one of my clients. My client is in need of a cause and effect contraption to learn how to drive a powered wheelchair.

Enter raspberry pi idea... My client currently uses a button to communicate needs (yes and no questions) I would like to use the augmented communication device (button) to teach my client how to use a wheelchair powered with head movements. Is there a way to program a raspberry pi to communicate with a wireless button to move a toy car (or other apparatus) when pressed. Ideally the apparatus would move left when the client touches the button on left side and right on right (maybe have two buttons?). Any advice would help I have this idea that I think would really benefit others but no clue to to program.

Thank you all,

Cara the OT
*sorry if the writing seems stiff I am trying to not reveal any identifying qualities of my client out of respect.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Would not need a Raspberry Pi to do this, a ESP8266 or ESP32 approach
would easily handle this.

Google this - "esp8266 remote switch" or "esp8266 remote relay"

Regards, Dana.

cararh88

Joined Sep 9, 2018
Would not need a Raspberry Pi to do this, a ESP8266 or ESP32 approach
would easily handle this.

Google this - "esp8266 remote switch" or "esp8266 remote relay"

Regards, Dana.
thank you so much for helping me out!! I will look into how this would work.

cararh88

Joined Sep 9, 2018
Hi so I googled the switch and still have a few questions do you think it is possible to use a wireless button that looks like this one:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are simpler off-the-shelf solutions.
You may want to look at adapting RC (radio control) toys.
Also, look at wireless door bells. These are readily available at most hardware stores.

cararh88

Joined Sep 9, 2018
the only thing is the client has to use a button like the one I posted because they already use one just like it to communicate. Do you think I could still adapt a Rc toy. The client has very limited speech (5 words) and extremely limited control of upper and no control of lower extremities.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
the only thing is the client has to use a button like the one I posted because they already use one just like it to communicate. Do you think I could still adapt a Rc toy. The client has very limited speech (5 words) and extremely limited control of upper and no control of lower extremities.
You can still use your BIG button or any other button you like with the RC toy or doorbell solutions I suggested. The idea is to the use the internal components to transmit and receive the radio signal.

The next question is, how many different actions do you wish to identify and activate? This will determine how many channels are required. Wireless garage door controllers sometimes come with four or more channels.

cararh88

Joined Sep 9, 2018
You can still use your BIG button or any other button you like with the RC toy or doorbell solutions I suggested. The idea is to the use the internal components to transmit and receive the radio signal.

The next question is, how many different actions do you wish to identify and activate? This will determine how many channels are required. Wireless garage door controllers sometimes come with four or more channels.
Okay thats good to know. I would need to have four different actions right, left, forward and backward. Sorry I am so clueless but do you mind outlining the steps I need to get started. I know this is a lot to ask over an online discussion board. Any books or how to videos you could recommend for me to learn more?

Thanks again

-C

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Okay thats good to know. I would need to have four different actions right, left, forward and backward. Sorry I am so clueless but do you mind outlining the steps I need to get started. I know this is a lot to ask over an online discussion board. Any books or how to videos you could recommend for me to learn more?

Thanks again

-C
Welcome to Engineering Design 101.

This is how we approach an engineering problem. We do not worry about what we use to implement the solution. This will come later. We use what is called "Top-Down Design". We look at the big picture.

1) We need a button that can respond to four actions: Left, Right, Forward, Backward. This can be one button or four separate buttons. We will decide on this later.

2) The information will be transmitted wirelessly. It could be radio waves or infrared. We can choose this later. For simplicity, you might want to start off with a wired solution.

3) At the action end (receiver), we want one of four actions to take place. (Actually, there is a 5th action, i.e. Stop).

From a user point of view, what do we want to see happen?

Edit: I am familiar with AAC devices and SLP profession.