Random Number Robo Phone Calls Problem

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi there,

Lately i have been getting more calls than usual from robots with taped messages. Some are scams trying to get you to pay them for some odd thing, some of them are legit sales but nothing i am interested in.
The same places keep calling and calling, every single day, yesterday 9 calls in total.

The main problem is that some of them use a DIFFERENT number each time they call, even a different area code. So it is not possible to block them because they will use a different caller id number the next day.

Any ideas how to stop this? I am already and have been enrolled in the National Do Not Call List but they must be ignoring that now.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Three solutions:
1) Turn off the ringers and don't answer unless you know the person;
2) Wait for the government to solve it. There is some action to make providers stop robocalls and implement other features, such as verification that the caller ID is not spoofed; and
3) Check out this site: https://www.nomorobo.com . I routinely run numbers through it (free) , or you can subscribe.

I have found that call blocking is largely ineffective because of thelimited numbers of bnumbers you can block. I got a device from China that had a number memory of 1000's (claimed). It worked to an extent. That is, it blocked almost allcalls, including ones from my children that I always answer.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi there,

Lately i have been getting more calls than usual from robots with taped messages. Some are scams trying to get you to pay them for some odd thing, some of them are legit sales but nothing i am interested in.
The same places keep calling and calling, every single day, yesterday 9 calls in total.

The main problem is that some of them use a DIFFERENT number each time they call, even a different area code. So it is not possible to block them because they will use a different caller id number the next day.

Any ideas how to stop this? I am already and have been enrolled in the National Do Not Call List but they must be ignoring that now.
Hi

If your receiving these on your smart phone, you can install an app that will create a blocked call list. You’ll have to add the new number for the call,,.but only once. It’s basically copy/paste the number into the list.

Works good for me..

eT

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Number blocking is useless, what phones really need is a allow only list.

I disagree. You would constantly need to update that list every time you called someone and they tried to call you back.

The solution is at the level of the providers. They are the ones making the money on those calls by providing service. "Follow the money." Allow consumers besieged by calls with spoofed numbers and so forth to seek compensation under the "Do Not Call" legislation (effectively $500 per offense) from the providers who let the calls through. The problem would end overnight.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
If your telecom supplier offers NoMoRobo, enable it. For me at least, it blocks nearly all unwanted calls.

Bob

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If your telecom supplier offers NoMoRobo, enable it. For me at least, it blocks nearly all unwanted calls.

Bob
For me, it is a charge. I think the providers should offer it free, as in your case. After all, the providers are co-conspirators. They could easily do it, if they wanted to.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
I disagree. You would constantly need to update that list every time you called someone and they tried to call you back.

The solution is at the level of the providers. They are the ones making the money on those calls by providing service. "Follow the money." Allow consumers besieged by calls with spoofed numbers and so forth to seek compensation under the "Do Not Call" legislation (effectively $500 per offense) from the providers who let the calls through. The problem would end overnight.
Easily taken care of with an "add called numbers" function.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Three solutions:
1) Turn off the ringers and don't answer unless you know the person;
2) Wait for the government to solve it. There is some action to make providers stop robocalls and implement other features, such as verification that the caller ID is not spoofed; and
3) Check out this site: https://www.nomorobo.com . I routinely run numbers through it (free) , or you can subscribe.

I have found that call blocking is largely ineffective because of thelimited numbers of bnumbers you can block. I got a device from China that had a number memory of 1000's (claimed). It worked to an extent. That is, it blocked almost allcalls, including ones from my children that I always answer.
Hi,

I have been blocking, but then they change the number.
I cant turn off the ringer because i need to know some calls that come in and answer. I cant tell if a good call comes in unless it rings.
My phone actually says "Spam" on some calls but still lets them through.

What is that nomorobo about?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi

If your receiving these on your smart phone, you can install an app that will create a blocked call list. You’ll have to add the new number for the call,,.but only once. It’s basically copy/paste the number into the list.

Works good for me..

eT
Hi,

I've been doing that, but it could be a new number each day. My guess is that the robos figured out that people will block them and they looked for a way around it.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
So, let's assume you are calling customer service at Amazon. You give your phone number. How do you know what number should be "white listed" when they call you back?
I always tell people to call me back at the same number, because I don’t answer unknown numbers, have been doing this for a long time.

And of course you could always turn off the app until you get your call back.

Get a call back from Amazon...lol...sorry I couldn't resist.

What can I say…every solution has a problem.

Last edited:

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi,

I've been doing that, but it could be a new number each day. My guess is that the robos figured out that people will block them and they looked for a way around it.
Could be random but it just doesn’t happen that often..I sometimes add new numbers once in a while but not a big deal...

eT

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The Ooma VOIP unit has a useful option to minimize the annoyance of junk calls.
You can have only calls from numbers in your phone list call through, with all others going directly to voicemail.
That way you can still get voicemail from an unknown number that may be of interest.
My experience is that very few robocalls leave voicemail.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Call displays can be spoofed, all scammers have discovered this. They can display any number they want now, including government agancies and your phone provider support numbers.. Thus call blocking is totally useless now, as is the do not call lists....

Only solution is to let your answering machine take all calls, and you filter them out later.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Not much you can do for the cell and I leave mine turned off until I need to use it, however, my landline provider put something new on my number. When you call the house you get a recording telling you the number called does not accept any unsolicited phone calls and to press 1 to continue. Ended them immediately. Has continued to work for about a year now. The no-call list is a joke and not enforced.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
When you call the house you get a recording telling you the number called does not accept any unsolicited phone calls and to press 1 to continue.
I'm surprised they haven't programmed the robocaller to generate a 1 after it detects a pickup of the call.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Call displays can be spoofed, all scammers have discovered this. They can display any number they want now, including government agancies and your phone provider support numbers.. Thus call blocking is totally useless now, as is the do not call lists....

Only solution is to let your answering machine take all calls, and you filter them out later.
Two problems:
1) Some robo calls are just checking to see if it is a valid number. An answering machine confirms that. I keep mine turned off.
2) Enhanced security by various entities (namely financial institutions) require a handshake. I do not have a smart phone, so that hand shake is by an automated call to my telephone. One typically does not know that incoming call number, and they often begin with a question such as, "If you are expecting this call press some number." I suspect the answering machine solution could be made to work in those situations, but I haven't tried it because of #1

Anecdote:
As for government agencies being spoofed, I believe I got one such call awhile back from the "Social Security Administration" (I am retired). My caller ID even showed the local number that I had used before, so I answered. As the call proceeded, the caller asked for some personal information. I responded that before doing that, I needed her phone number and would call her back. The caller responded that she understood my sensitivity to giving such information, said the matter had been cleared up, and hung up. I then dialed the caller ID number. It had been disconnected and was no longer valid for the SSA.