Radio Electronics book

simo_x

Joined Dec 23, 2010
Hi dears,

I recently started to interesting about radio electronics, so I bought the ARRL Handbook 2011 as reference to study RF principles. I have it since 3 weeks and I am on chapter 8 right now.

I would like to know, by many experts here, if maybe this book will give me all the information required to learn about the topic, and maybe, build my own little FM/AM radio receiver to listen common radio stations, just for fun..

Maybe I could consider also another book? If so, which one you suggest?

Many thanks in advice.
Regards,

simo_x

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The ARRL Handbook is an excellent collection of technical info compiled by experts in the field... this coming from a Ham myself.

simo_x

Joined Dec 23, 2010
OK, so it means that I made the better choice buying it. That's the kind of thing that make me happy. :D

Are you saying that you are a contributor of this edition?? :eek:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
OK, so it means that I made the better choice buying it. That's the kind of thing that make me happy. :D

Are you saying that you are a contributor of this edition?? :eek:
No. But everyone into electronics should have an ARRL Handbook in their book collection. Yes you made the right choice.
(if you are in Europe this is a hell of a time to be up in the morning.)

simo_x

Joined Dec 23, 2010
Yes, I woke up very early this morning, so I didn't have nothing better to do than start the Modulation chapter, without wasting my time ;)

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Congratulations. You have earned the prestigious title of "Senior Member". Now let's see if we can catch up with Bill Marsden or Sgt Wookie.

simo_x

Joined Dec 23, 2010
Ooohhh, it would be an honor! I know them as users, always fascinated about their knowledges and suggestions they provide here on the forum.

Thank you very much MrChips, You made me very happy with your reassurance.
Now I go on with the chapter.

Still, congratulations for the forum, especially for the built-in volume. Very useful for quick reference.

Regards,
simo_x

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
If you have a used book store in your area, try to get your hands on some college level electronics textbooks on electronics theory, electronics communications, antenna propagation or peruse this site for lots of good info and links.

simo_x

Joined Dec 23, 2010
@ radiohead
Yes, I did not search for these kind of books full of formula and heavy to read. Even if maybe they are very good for engineering principles, I was looking for one with some practice & projects, with a good number of pages ( = a lot of info). ;)
Thank you for suggestion and interest!

@ bertus
Currently I am looking at the RSGB site to what they have. For the NEETS series, just said WOW when I clicked. Seems every pdf have around 200 and more pages, full of information. Very very grateful.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The ARRL handbook, as everything that tries to embrace the "whole thing" is far from complete (you cannot go into details of everything in just a book).

The worst in my opinion is that many many years ago, that handbook stopped being a practical guide to build simple RF circuits (rcvrs / xmtrs).

A ham myself I admit that the only credit I can give is that they say something even if that is just one or two paragraphs about most of the subjects you could look for.

But do not expect to build anything, if you are a newbie in these matters, just by reading that book.

That's why the OP was asking about another book.

simo_x

Joined Dec 23, 2010
Hello atferrari, that was my first big doubt.

Of course I do not pretend to acquire all the knowledge just with more than 1000 pages about radio electronics theory.

For example, in the first chapters NPN amplifiers are treated, but not in detail as Microelectronics Circuits by Sedra & Smith, which cover also MOSFET and OpAmp more in detail.

On the other hand, I find the book full of information such to give you a good overview on the topic, and of course learn something useful with projects too.
I also think that starting from your interest you can learn from many additional or different resources too (i.e. internet), a part from the book itself, and usually is what I always do..

If you can suggest another textbook as reference, in addition to the ARRL Handbook 2011, which you maybe think it covers more in details radio electronics, of course I will consider it as a valid suggestion.

Regards,
simo_x

Last edited:

Zeeus

Joined Apr 17, 2019
why the hell is MrChips everywhere??

Please anyone knows how I can get the 2019 box edition in Canada? Thanks

Also, is there a handbook for "electronics"

Also...Will this book teach me (not in a hurry to learn) how to make 'walkie talkie'?

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Books by Joseph J. Carr are really excellent, he has a lot of them. One of my favorites, unfortunately out of print is https://www.worldcat.org/title/tab-handbook-of-radio-communications/oclc/10273745

Amazon has used ones for 85 bucks, but if you ever see a chance to get a copy, I suggest you do it.

The Radio Society of Great Britain has a good selection, too. This one has free sample as a PDF: https://rsgbshop.org/acatalog/PDF/RC_Handbook_12_sample.pdf

You can check their shop online for more.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Electronic Communications. Shrader. Sixth Edition.

I found a nice hardcover for 10 bucks on amazon.

The book assumes that you know nothing about electronics or math.

And it assumes that you do not have a calculator or slide rule.

Should be a required textbook in every high school classroom.