Radio Contour Map - ?Power Spectrum Density?

Management

Joined Sep 18, 2007
If I wanted to plot a Radio Contour Map what type of information would I need. I have a Garmin eTrex Legend which can provide longitude and latitude (position data) and I have a portable Spectrum Analyzer. What I want is to generate a color-graded map will show which geographical regions of some location, based on the location of hills, mountains and other topographical features, currently have high or low radio signal coverage.

What information should I be getting from the spectrum analyzer? Power Spectrum Density? Or is it average power over some frequency band? I think its the latter.

Last edited:

roddefig

Joined Apr 29, 2008
What information should I be getting from the spectrum analyzer? Power Spectrum Density? Or is it average power over some frequency band? I think its the latter.
In a way, both! If you're looking for the power in a specific frequency band (which I would assume you are) then you'll want to integrate the power spectral density readings from the spectrum analyzer over those frequencies. See the Wikipedia article on Spectral Density: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_density