Radio communication under water.

jtmk711

Joined Jul 24, 2009
I'm toying with controlling a shallow water (100 ft max depth) ROV with radio comunications. Any recommendations as to freq, range, signal strength, etc? Thanks for any help in advance.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I'm toying with controlling a shallow water (100 ft max depth) ROV with radio comunications. Any recommendations as to freq, range, signal strength, etc? Thanks for any help in advance.
This is very difficult. Some details can be found here.

http://www.qsl.net/vk5br/UwaterComms.htm

Personally, I'd use sound, rather than radio, for underwater communications. If you are dealing with short distances, you can consider blue light as the carrier. You're looking at some challenges with any of the three methods.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The navy has experimented with ELF, extremely low frequency communication with submarines. Unfortunately the antenna for such a transmitter covered several square miles and it required large amounts of power to attain suitable signal levels. Don't think it is practical for your application.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008

If it's fresh water, you have a chance. If it's saltwater, the only choice is ELF.

eric

jtmk711

Joined Jul 24, 2009
Thanks to all for the input and the link. This project is one of those things that I want to do just for the challenge. Since I live in the midwest, fresh water is definitely where my journey will start. Thanks again.