R.I.P. Senator John Sidney McCain III

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
A true American Hero. RIP Senator McCain.

He dedicated his life to doing what was right and honorable, now it's up to us to pick up the slack.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It wouldn’t surprise me, in fact I’ll be disappointed otherwise, if Trump doesn’t find good words to say and sort of apologize for past slights, such as the man is capable of it. Politics is messy and disagreement is expected, but serving your country with honor deserves recognition and respect.

It is amazing to me just how much he did in his life (and how much was done to him). So much accomplished, so much endured and fought through. I mean it is really hard for me to imagine.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It wouldn’t surprise me, in fact I’ll be disappointed otherwise, if Trump doesn’t find good words to say and sort of apologize for past slights, such as the man is capable of it. Politics is messy and disagreement is expected, but serving your country with honor deserves recognition and respect.
I believe he will take his cue from his supporters at his rally calling for the senator's death. Can't go against the few supporters who still support him.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No politics. More like Behavioral Psychology and social norms. We respect the deceased for their contributions. To do otherwise is abnormal. To wish for someone's death is aberrant.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'm an outsider, but I've been following his career for quite a while. Even though he was not perfect, Mr McCain was one of those true patriots that focused on the well being of his own nation, and at the same time he was always respectful of others and engaged in the well being of international relations. His is a life worth studying. May God grant the world more politicians like him.

Rest in peace, Senator John McCain.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Are you surprised yet? Used his own picture in his announcement and only lowered WH flag for 1/2 a day.

To the mods - this isn't political just statements of fact.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Did anyone bother to check to see if the WH followed the law with respect to the display of the flag, specifically half-mast for Members of Congress?

I see reports on the news as late as 45 minutes ago, from CBS News ... "The American flag flying above the White House was at full staff early Monday morning even as the nation continued honoring the life and legacy of Sen. John McCain. "

Apparently CBS news is ill informed about the rules, as well as ABC News ... "The White House flag is no longer at half-staff in honor of Sen. John McCain, who died Saturday."

Ignorance is no excuse.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://www.kptv.com/story/38967896/...est-friend-at-us-naval-academy?autostart=true
Sen. John McCain, the Arizona Republican who died Saturday of brain cancer, will be buried on a grassy hill at the U.S. Naval Academy Cemetery in Annapolis, right next to a lifelong friend, within earshot of the next generation of midshipmen and within view of the banks of Severn River.

The senator's choice was another that showed his trademark individuality. McCain, who died Saturday after battling brain cancer, selected the out-of-the-way spot over the grandeur and solemnity of Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia, where his father and grandfather - both admirals -are buried. Instead, the decorated Vietnam War veteran, former prisoner of war and six-term senator opted for a front-row position next to his friend Chuck Larson, himself an admiral and ally throughout McCain's remarkable life.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Did anyone bother to check to see if the WH followed the law with respect to the display of the flag, specifically half-mast for Members of Congress?

"On the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress." From, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-mast#United_States

So he over corrects by, "signed a proclamation to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff until the day of his interment."

And it isn't "half mast" unless it's on board a ship. It's "half staff" on land, so did anyone check that?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
What about those other places?

Anyway, here is the code citation:
4 U.S. Code § 7 - Position and manner of display
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/7
It was just a point of interest of the distinction being an Americanism.
I meant literally 'only in America' is the phrase half-staff' used for flags.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-mast#Australia

https://www.collinsflags.com/blog/archives/50?doing_wp_cron=1535405811.5579319000244140625000
According to the U.S. Flag Code, half-staff is largely an American English term where it distinguishes the position and manner of display on a flagpole as half-staff, or midway between the summit and bottom. Flying a flag at half-staff is largely associated with land flagpoles, leaving the term ‘half-mast’ to ships. However, half-staff is mainly a United States term – places like Canada and the United Kingdom do not have ‘half-staff’ in their vocabulary and rely solely on using the term ‘half-mast’ when ordering flags to fly lowered.