Quick question making circuit dummies guide...

S1CAR1US

Joined Jan 22, 2018
Hi guys, sorry for the noob question, I have already been ridiculed once for asking elsewhere so thought id try my luck somewhere new... I just am having trouble wrapping my head around how to transfer this into actual application. I am wanting to make a board to go inbetween the photo interruptor and the control board. The schematic on the left is what I have found but I dont understand exactly how to run the wires... What I have drawn is only what I am picturing in my head that would work well to make out of a perf-board. I basically just need someone to draw in the lines for me of how to run each wire. Also, it is mentioned int the comments of this blog that explained it, that the "pull UP" resistor is not necessary being that there is one already integrated into the control board. I already know how to activate that pullup resistor which is 4.7k but I am not sure which one out of the 3 resistors is the pull up resistor here on this schematic... My guess would be the 100k?. Here is a link also to the url where I got the info from originally. Thanks for anyone to help me.Sketch.png

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Sorry you had bad luck elsewhere. This is usually a friendly place. Hope you like it here!

As for your circuit, the 10k is the pull up which can be omitted if you activate a suitable pull up on the control board.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Am I correct in assuming that the 3 position connector on the right is where the photo-interruptor connects?

If so,do you have a preferred pin assignment? Based on the schematic, the three pins would be Anode, Collector, and Common.

If your device has 4 pins, you can tie the cathode and emitter together externally, or bring both onto the board in a 4-pin connector and common them at the connector. In this case the four pins would be Anode, Cathode, Collector, and Emitter.

What is the output signal connecting to?

Note: it took longer to figure out what RepRap meant than to formulate this response.

I have a drawing, but I won't be able to post it until later.

ak

Last edited:

S1CAR1US

Joined Jan 22, 2018
The photo interruptor has 3 pins yes. As long as you just label agc it can be any order...
Am I correct in assuming that the 3 position connector on the right is where the photo-interruptor connects?

If so,do you have a preferred pin assignment? Based on the schematic, the three pins would be Anode, Collector, and Common.

If your device has 4 pins, you can tie the cathode and emitter together externally, or bring both onto the board in a 4-pin connector and common them at the connector. In this case the four pins would be Anode, Cathode, Collector, and Emitter.

What is the output signal connecting to?

Note: it took longer to figure out what RepRap meant than to formulate this response.

ak
No preferred pin assignment, just label if you would A G and C. The reason I'm trying to do it like this instead of bringing the photo interruptor on to the board is because they are already mounted in pretty specific locations. So this way I can mount this little circuit board anywhere. Thank you so much for your time.

S1CAR1US

Joined Jan 22, 2018
Sorry you had bad luck elsewhere. This is usually a friendly place. Hope you like it here!

As for your circuit, the 10k is the pull up which can be omitted if you activate a suitable pull up on the control board.
Thank you for this confirmation and also the warm welcome!

So if you're still able to provide me with this drawing maybe you can implement this omission? If it's already done though don't worry about it... Thanks again for your time

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Have a go at drawing the wires in where you think they should go. We could do it for you but then you will not learn. Also, you don't need to post it again as I see you have.

S1CAR1US

Joined Jan 22, 2018
so i think the reason that I was having trouble with it was because of the fact that I am removing the actual sensor from the circuit and replacing it with a plug... Maybe you guys could check this redo I made of the schematic?drft.png

S1CAR1US

Joined Jan 22, 2018
May have been some mistakes on the first one.... here is what I hope is the right one... verification would be greatly appreciated. where i drew in the arrow on the first resistor, It just seemed strange to me that the line is run that way but seems to be ok when I check it on the software....Screenshot (96).png Screenshot (95).png

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
If it was my project I'd rename the VCC on the lower connector something unique just for clarity and to preserve what's left of my sanity.

Those clearances between traces and pads look unnecessarily close to me, just eyeballing it of course. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but since you've got acres of free space to work with, why not spread out just a bit?

Nothing else jumps out at me.

S1CAR1US

Joined Jan 22, 2018
thanks guys for the feedback... unfortunately its still not working though... )= I had it working briefly on the breadboard yesterday.... not sure what I did or what I changed but not now. It works in the original circuit so I know that the actual interruptor units are good.... uuggghhh! I have been so frustrated if you all only knew what I have gone through in the last couple weeks trying to get this printer working.... Irony is that I am desperately trying to get it going so that I don't lose these two jobs that I have already contracted for printing service. (broke down right when i started the first of the two jobs), but ya, the messed up part is that if I were able to get both jobs done, I had planned on either buying a whole new printer or at least a new controller board which would make all of this work obsolete anyways! But cant do that if I cant get paid.... I am so sleep deprived right now it is just madness....