Quick question......lipo batteries

Stillers48

Joined Jul 12, 2020
So basically the charge/discharge properties are the same. Good. The deeper this convo goes the more I'm leaning towards just buying a charge/discharge board for this. Figured I could just throw together a quick emergency flashlight/power bank. I don't believe it's that simple anymore. Lol.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
So basically the charge/discharge properties are the same. Good. The deeper this convo goes the more I'm leaning towards just buying a charge/discharge board for this. Figured I could just throw together a quick emergency flashlight/power bank. I don't believe it's that simple anymore. Lol.
When you buy a charger, make sure it will charge at the correct current for the battery you are charging. A quick rule of thumb is: no more then 0.37xC (C is the battery capacity in mAh), unless the battery is specifically rated at a higher charge current. The same goes for the discharge rate. If you exceed either, the battery will get hot and may be irrepairably damaged.
NOTE: Don't cycle your batteries unless it is necessary. Each cycle is one less charge available in the life of the battery.
Keith

Last edited:

Stillers48

Joined Jul 12, 2020
When you buy a charger, make sure it will charge at the correct current for the battery you are charging. A quick rule of thumb is: no more then 3.7xC (C is the battery capacity in mAh), unless the battery is specifically rated at a higher charge current. The same goes for the discharge rate. If you exceed either, the battery will get hot and may be irrepairably damaged.
NOTE: Don't cycle your batteries unless it is necessary. Each cycle is one less charge available in the life of the battery.
Keith
I was just going to get a charge/discharge protection board to solder in when I wired it. Being as these were Kaden for a cell phone, I'm going to use micro usb for my connections and should have no issues using a standard cell phone charger.

You did remind me of another question I had tho. I've seen other Li-Pos that have a C rating. When I looked that up, best I could tell, the c rating was the rate of which the battery could discharge. I interpreted that as meaning, if mah was the size of your water tank in gallons, the c rating was the size of the pipe the water drained through. Is that accurate? And if so how is that calculated? Alot of the ratings were stated as '50Cr' or '75c`. It doesn't seem to correlate to any traditional unit of measurement which in guessing would be something along the lines of max mAh/H?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
One often sees a minimum charge specified as 0.5 to 1.0 C per hour (C= capacity). Can your cell phone charger provide that? I am sure the 0.5 C is not a rock solid standard, but it is something to consider.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I made a typing error when I stated "A quick rule of thumb is: no more then 3.7xC (C is the battery capacity in mAh)
It should read 0.37C.
Stillers48, please note that I wrote the capacity, C, in mAh, NOT mA/H. The capacity is the discharge current times the time.
It means that a 3,000 mAh battery can supply 3A for 1 hour, or 1A for 3 hours, or 1/2A for 6 hours, etc.
Keith

Stillers48

Joined Jul 12, 2020
Had to pump the brakes on the battery issue. I caught myself stuck in circular thought loop on the battery problem. When I get frustrated or burnt out or what an author would call writers block I have a tendency to keep going over and over the same 2 or 3 bad solutions except I'll change it just enough from one cycle to the next to convince myself that it's a new idea worth pursuing. I've literally lost days of my life caught up in this kind of thought in the past. I've still got power issues but I set it aside for now and went back to the prototype. Making real progress on that side of things.