Quick PCB design assistance

airplane100000

Joined Aug 2, 2016
Excellent responses.
While I'm at it if ya'll are still willing to help, I should ask:
My board (one side, all SMD) will have at least two outgoing wires, which interface the board with another SMD board. The wires connect SMD components on my board to an SMD component on another board, although I am only concerned at the moment with how they will be attached to my board. The wires should be simple wires with stripped ends soldered permanently to the board.
How is this usually accomplished in a board design? Do I solder the wires to an unused SMD pad? Do most circuit assembly services provide this service (I don't intend to self assemble)? Is this incorporated into the PCB files somehow, or do I have to define this in another way?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Make a plated through hole and solder to it.

From your comments so far, I suggest that your first order of boards be somewhat less than 1000. Maybe 3 to 5 boards would limit the number wasted. It is your first board, and your optimism may not be returned.

John

airplane100000

Joined Aug 2, 2016
Make a plated through hole and solder to it.

From your comments so far, I suggest that your first order of boards be somewhat less than 1000. Maybe 3 to 5 boards would limit the number wasted. It is your first board, and your optimism may not be returned.

John
Thanks,
Obviously I would order sample boards to verify functionality before making any large procurement.
Curious as to my last two questions: Do most circuit assembly services provide this service (of placing the wires, I don't intend to self assemble)? Is this incorporated into the PCB files somehow, or do I have to define this in another way?