Questions regarding look up tables

mawais826

Joined Nov 24, 2021
Hi, I hope all members are doing well.
I would like to ask a couple of of questions regarding look up tables.
1) how can we create 2-1 multiplexer using only 2 input look up tables?
2) can outputs of one set of look up tables be used to map SRAM bits of another look up table?
Any help is much appreciated.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi, I hope all members are doing well.
I would like to ask a couple of of questions regarding look up tables.
2) can outputs of one set of look up tables be used to map SRAM bits of another look up table?
Any help is much appreciated.
1. 2-inputs can specify 4 choices. If the data in the table is two bits wide, then each entry can specify that each of the outputs is equal to either input A or input B.
2. Sure. you can have as amny layers as you want.

There were early versions of the FPGA (Xilinx, I think) that had 32x1 bit RAM cells, that could implement any Boolean function of 5 variables. Why did they do this? Because RAM cells are smaller and more regular than anything else you can do on a wafer.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
The purpose of look-up tables is to simplify something and/or gain speed. For example a table with transcendental functions like sin, cos, tan. Instead of calculating them every time they occur, using a look-up table can improve processing speed. The downside to that strategy is that you may have to trade off resolution (e.g. whole degrees only) to reduce table size.

A 2:1 mux only requires 3 gates, so there's not much to be gained by using a LUT.
You can do whatever you want.

mawais826

Joined Nov 24, 2021
Welcome to AAC!
The purpose of look-up tables is to simplify something and/or gain speed. For example a table with transcendental functions like sin, cos, tan. Instead of calculating them every time they occur, using a look-up table can improve processing speed. The downside to that strategy is that you may have to trade off resolution (e.g. whole degrees only) to reduce table size.

A 2:1 mux only requires 3 gates, so there's not much to be gained by using a LUT.
You can do whatever you want.
Thank you Dennis.
i am just asking this question for the sake of clearing my concept regarding LUT's.
with regards to my second question how can we implement four variable function using only two input LUT's?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
with regards to my second question how can we implement four variable function using only two input LUT's?
I don't understand the question. What do you mean by 4 variable function? A 2 input LUT can only have 4 outputs. A 4 variable function can have more than 4 possibilities.

mawais826

Joined Nov 24, 2021
I don't understand the question. What do you mean by 4 variable function? A 2 input LUT can only have 4 outputs. A 4 variable function can have more than 4 possibilities.
That's what is confusing me.
According to some sources we can use 2 input LUT's in cascaded form to recognize a 4 variable function.

mawais826

Joined Nov 24, 2021

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sorry if I am not being clear. Let me provide some pictures. Attached is picture and link of how we can realize 3 variable function using 2 input LUT's but i am not able to understand how this solution was derived.
https://electronics.stackexchange.c...e-input-lut-if-i-have-a-lot-of-two-input-luts
So the diagram shows how using multiple LUTs you can implement various logic functions. You have to look at the contents of the boxes carefully. The one on the extreme right implements a Boolean .OR. function. This is often denoted with the same '+' plus symbol we use to mean addition. In programming languages we call this 'operator overloading'. The two boxes in the middel are implementing a Boolean .AND. function which is often indicated by the use of the '&' ampersand character. The dotted line box around the two .AND. boxes and the .OR. box is telling that such a combinatorial function perfoems the action of a 2:1 multiplexer.

I'm not quite sure how to interpret LUT1 & LUT2. It seems they implement a function of two variables, A and B, and a constant either 1 or 0. However the actual values of S and T are a mystery to me.

There are many was to implement a 2:1 multiplexer function. Your diagram uses 2 AND gates and 1 OR gate. Here is an example of a 2:1 multiplexer using 3 NAND gates.
A! and A2 are buffers where the output equals the input and the complementary output is unused. A3 is a combination buffer/inverter whose outputs are always the complement of each other. A4, A5, and A6 are all multi-input NAND gates. In this diagram, unused inputs are ignored.

1637810966659.png

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Think of it this way…

A 4 input LUT has 16 different possibilities. Think binary. Four binary bits can represent 0 to 15; 16 possibilities.

A 2 input LUT can represent 4 different possibilities. If you take the output of a single LUT, and feed it into a second LUT plus the third input, you get 8 possibilities. Note that this second LUT is identical to the first.

Finally, feed this output to a third LUT with the fourth input, you get 16 possibilities.

Voila!