Questions regarding an Apple Emate 300

Anqders

Joined Oct 30, 2019
Hi

I just got an old Apple Emate 300 that I am trying to get working again. ..But I am still trying to learn about small electronics, so I have a few "stupid" questions I need help with. I have not been able to find a service manuel for the Emate, and that makes it difficult to troubleshoot.

I got the machine to work so that the only thing wrong now seems to be the backlight. I have measured the connection to the backlight, and have not been able to measure any voltage. Because of that I suspect the regulator is broken. Can anyone help me figure out what it's supposed to output on it's pins? IMG_20191029_202118370.jpg

While I am trying to figure that out, I would like to test the backlight itself to figure out if it works. If it does, worst case, I can bypass the old regulator and feed the power from my own regulator. The issue is that I have no specs on this old green backlight. It says "ELYG-1V160H" "7C19" on the back, but I have found nothing on Google. Do anyone know what voltage this thing is useing? :)

IMG_20191030_190519905.jpg

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That appears to be an electroluminescent panel. The ones I am familiar with in the same vintage equipment operate from the 120VAC line, in a 220V scenario, they might be different, or require step down—or not.

They usually had an operating range of ~80-120V, and in battery powered scenarios they used an inverter. The inverter is a common source of failure.

Anqders

Joined Oct 30, 2019
That appears to be an electroluminescent panel. The ones I am familiar with in the same vintage equipment operate from the 120VAC line, in a 220V scenario, they might be different, or require step down—or not.

They usually had an operating range of ~80-120V, and in battery powered scenarios they used an inverter. The inverter is a common source of failure.
Hi, and thanks for the help. :) I have ordered a new panel with inverter now, so I will just build that into the laptop and go around the broken inverter as I will have a hard time locating one similar to the one in the laptop.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi, and thanks for the help. :) I have ordered a new panel with inverter now, so I will just build that into the laptop and go around the broken inverter as I will have a hard time locating one similar to the one in the laptop.
The panel may well be just fine. The inverters for backlights fail often.