Questions on Arduino

Snowfish

Joined May 11, 2017
Hi,

I would like to know the answer to these 5 questions please

1-How can I know if my Arduino UNO R3 is series 1 or series 2 ?
2-Which component inside the Arduino is his timer component ? (for exemple, which components is vital to make DEL light ON after being 5 minutes OFF?)
3-How much data (bits) is it possible to send wirelessly without connecting the Arduino UNO to PC ( standalone mode)?
4-How much data (bits) is it possible to receive wirelessly without connecting the Arduino UNO to PC( standalone mode)?
5-How much data (bits) is it possible to stock inside the Arduino UNO without connecting the Arduino UNO to PC( standalone mode)?

Thank you

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Hi,

I would like to know the answer to these 5 questions please

1-How can I know if my Arduino UNO R3 is series 1 or series 2 ?
2-Which component inside the Arduino is his timer component ? (for exemple, which components is vital to make DEL light ON after being 5 minutes OFF?)
3-How much data (bits) is it possible to send wirelessly without connecting the Arduino UNO to PC ( standalone mode)?
4-How much data (bits) is it possible to receive wirelessly without connecting the Arduino UNO to PC( standalone mode)?
5-How much data (bits) is it possible to stock inside the Arduino UNO without connecting the Arduino UNO to PC( standalone mode)?

Thank you
1. No idea.
2. I am guessing crystal oscillator. My Chinese clone uses 12 MHz crystal.
3. Zero bits.
4. Zero bits.
6. Uno has three kinds of memory:
- Flash (where you store program), you have 32 kilobytes, but 0.5 kilobytes is used for bootloader, so you actually have 32k-0.5k=31.5 kilobytes. Each byte is 8 bits, so 31500 bytes x 8 bits/byte=252000 bits.
- EEPROM (store long term information), 1 kilobyte, therefore 1000 bytes x 8 bits/byte=8000 bits.
- SRAM (this memory looses its contents when power is turned off) Since the information is lost when you turn off the power, do you want to count it toward the total?

Snowfish

Joined May 11, 2017
1. No idea.
2. I am guessing crystal oscillator. My Chinese clone uses 12 MHz crystal.
3. Zero bits.
4. Zero bits.
6. Uno has three kinds of memory:
- Flash (where you store program), you have 32 kilobytes, but 0.5 kilobytes is used for bootloader, so you actually have 32k-0.5k=31.5 kilobytes. Each byte is 8 bits, so 31500 bytes x 8 bits/byte=252000 bits.
- EEPROM (store long term information), 1 kilobyte, therefore 1000 bytes x 8 bits/byte=8000 bits.
- SRAM (this memory looses its contents when power is turned off) Since the information is lost when you turn off the power, do you want to count it toward the total?
For questions 3 and 4, you mean that I would always need a PC to send or receive data wirelessly? and that I can't send or receive wirelessly even if I have an antenna on the Arduino when it's standalo ?

I am asking this because I saw video on internet where some person uses arduino in standalone mode to switch on and off a LED bulb and then, I wondered if we can do it wirelessly (without wire connection between Arduino and LED bilb)?

Are there any other Arduino versions which can do it if Arduino UNO can't?
Best regards

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
For questions 3 and 4, you mean that I would always need a PC to send or receive data wirelessly? and that I can't send or receive wirelessly even if I have an antenna on the Arduino when it's standalo ?

I am asking this because I saw video on internet where some person uses arduino in standalone mode to switch on and off a LED bulb and then, I wondered if we can do it wirelessly (without wire connection between Arduino and LED bilb)?

Are there any other Arduino versions which can do it if Arduino UNO can't?
Best regards
Uno has no hardware for wireless communication.

To make Uno do wireless you have to add the hardware. But now you have to decide what kind of wireless do you want:
- IR (like tv remote)
- WIFI
- Bluetooth
- RC style radio

Or you can buy a microcontroller with wireless. I bought ESP8266 to do wifi, but it is really small and only has one analog input.

Uno has many add on boards that add various functionality. Or you can get ESP8266 and stick it on Uno and let Uno use it as a wifi adapter.

Snowfish

Joined May 11, 2017
Uno has no hardware for wireless communication.

To make Uno do wireless you have to add the hardware. But now you have to decide what kind of wireless do you want:
- IR (like tv remote)
- WIFI
- Bluetooth
- RC style radio

Or you can buy a microcontroller with wireless. I bought ESP8266 to do wifi, but it is really small and only has one analog input.

Uno has many add on boards that add various functionality. Or you can get ESP8266 and stick it on Uno and let Uno use it as a wifi adapter.
I want xbee wireless communication to send information from one arduino to another (standalone mode). if I install an xbee antenna on the arduino, would I be able to receive data from another arduino connected with xbee antenna? Both should be standalone ( programmed by PC before but not connected to PC during the communication/wireless operation). Would that sort of communication happen?

Last edited:

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I want xbee wireless communication to send information from one arduino to another (standalone mode). if I install an xbee antenna on the arduino, would I be able to receive data from another arduino connected with xbee antenna? Both should be standalone ( programmed by PC before but not connected to PC during the communication/wireless operation). Would that sort of communication happen?
You need a transceiver. Transceiver is a device that combines two devices: transmitter and receiver. Antenna is not a transceiver.

Also. Have you researched integration of the xbee with Uno? Is it easy? Is it hard? Have other people done it? Do they recommend it?

Snowfish

Joined May 11, 2017
You need a transceiver. Transceiver is a device that combines two devices: transmitter and receiver. Antenna is not a transceiver.

Also. Have you researched integration of the xbee with Uno? Is it easy? Is it hard? Have other people done it? Do they recommend it?
For exemple, If i have a transceiver on each of 2 arduinos, would it be possible for wireless data transfer between arduinos in standalone mode?

Snowfish

Joined May 11, 2017
Thank you very much. So it's the case without PC's USB being plugged during communication. How shure are you of your "yes"?

And do you please have an exemple from book, internet, document or youtube...of that arduino wireless communication in standalone mode?
Best regards

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Thank you very much. So it's the case without PC's USB being plugged during communication. How shure are you of your "yes"?

And do you please have an exemple from book, internet, document or youtube...of that arduino wireless communication in standalone mode?
Best regards
As far as pc usb connection, Uno is an interesting case. Uno has two specific pins dedicated to wired serial communication. When Uno is connected to pc using usb, those two pins are occupied and can not be used for serial communication. The solution is to either use two other digital pins for wired serial communication and use software serial, or go wireless.

Snowfish

Joined May 11, 2017
Example: Quick example using XRF Wireless modules which is an alternative to XBee Series 1. This example shows how to get two Arduinos talking to each other using the default XRF configuration settings.
Sorry for bothering, but I have one last question,
in this exemple at minute 0:07, we can see at the top-left corner some black cable and I am afraid that it's some connection to the PC? Are they using the ''no PC connection (standalone mode)'' in that example? if they aren't using that mode, are we able to do the same tasks without PC being connected ?
Thank you

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Sorry for bothering, but I have one last question,
in this exemple at minute 0:07, we can see at the top-left corner some black cable and I am afraid that it's some connection to the PC? Are they using the ''no PC connection (standalone mode)'' in that example? if they aren't using that mode, are we able to do the same tasks without PC being connected ?
Thank you
Basically it depends what the task is. I did not watch the video. I assume they are sending something from pc to Uno 1 over the usb, Uno 1 transmits something to Uno 2. Uno 2 receives something and executes some action (light led or whatever) that indicates to the observers that it actually received whatever was sent from the pc in the first place.

You need pc to load the program into the uno board. Afterward you disconnect the pc and let the two uno boards do whatever you programmed them to do. The only issues you have:
- how easy it is to write the programs
- how expansive the hardware
- how hard is it to integrate the hardware with each other

You want to use XBee. Obviously some work has been done already. I have no idea if enough have been done to accomplish what you want. That is the research you need to do. Arduino Playground website is the one I usually consult. There might be others that I simply have not stumbled across. Since I don't use XBee, you probably know at this point everything I know.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
There is no problem using a uno wireless but you have to program it first.
You pick what you want do load the program add the xbee and away you go.
You may of seen the uno still hooked to a computer most people do that till there sure it's working as planed
It's called programming.