Questions about the frequency and power of electromagnetic waves

yitian

Joined Aug 7, 2023
Hi, I'm a new registered user,

I came here to learn a little about electromagnetic waves.

For example, the information sent out by mobile phone base stations, wifi signals, these are electromagnetic waves.

I have seen a news before, users near the mobile phone base station will have dizziness and other symptoms, because the base station transmission power is too large.

Here is another example, which I saw on a forum.

One user built his own high-power wifi antenna.

But he said that in front of the antenna, when there is wifi data sent, he gets dizzy. Maybe it's too much power

So I was curious.

1 Antenna transmission power is large, can really make people dizzy symptoms?

2 How much power would cause a person to have this symptom?

3 Which frequency is more likely to make people dizzy?

thank you

The first question. I don't know if this is the right place.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

I have never seen any reliable evidence that a cell site can cause “dizziness”. While excess RF radiation, depending on frequency, can cause damage by heating, the mechanism for causing dizziness is entirely unclear,

Do you have anything other that anecdotal evidence that this happens?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
1 Antenna transmission power is large, can really make people dizzy symptoms?

Never felt dizzy from radio signals, but a radar installation (Mount Umunhum) near where I once lived was said to cook birds which flew by.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I lived for years at sea under the SPS-4* series radars (200 kW - 300 kW) up on the signal bridge, with various types of LF, HF, UHF radio transmitter antennas broadcasting kilowatts feet from our heads.
1691467264036.png

Any "dizziness" we had was from the effects of mind altering substances.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Hi, I'm a new registered user,

I came here to learn a little about electromagnetic waves.
For example, the information sent out by mobile phone base stations, wifi signals, these are electromagnetic waves.

I have seen a news before, users near the mobile phone base station will have dizziness and other symptoms, because the base station transmission power is too large.
The radiation from the handset held over your ear will be much greater than the radiation from the base station, because the power falls with the square of distance.
A base station has a directional antenna, because there is no point in wasting power transmitting in directions where there is no one to receive it, so the power directly beneath a base station will be small.
When near a base station, the handset reduces transmitting power so it is safer than being further away (because the majority of the radiation received by your body comes from the handset)

There was a big fuss here from the slightly-educated middle classes about putting mobile telephone masts on school buildings.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
There was a big fuss here from the slightly-educated middle classes about putting mobile telephone masts on school buildings.
There seems to be a general belief that, if high levels if exposure to something is harmful, any exposure is harmful. But only to things they just learned about. If it has been around their entire life, it must be safe.

I still can’t get understand how people can go around screaming that using a cell phone causes a specific kind of brain tumor, while in the last few decades cell phone usage has gone from zero to billions and the incidence of those tumors has remained unchanged.