Question for USB Car Charger Converter Step Down Module 12V To 5V 3A

know610

Joined Mar 24, 2017
Hi, New to the forum and hope to get some feedback.

USB Car Charger Converter Step Down Module 12V To 5V 3A:
Design Features:
- Input voltage: 12V
- Output voltage: 5V
- Output Current (max.): 3.0A
- Conversion efficiency: 96%
- Soft Start time: 500ms
- Rectification: Synchronous
- Water proof: Not Waterproof
- Output Ripple: 50mV (max) 20M-bandwidth
- Dynamic response speed: 5% 200uS

1) If I were to hardwired this to a constant power fuse with add-a-circuit, will this drain my car battery if no device plug in when car not start? I only charge when car started.

2) If car parked for a week when I'm on vacation and nothing plug to that wire, will it drain car battery?
usb..jpg

Thanks,

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
It will still take a small amount of current without a load, perhaps 6-10mA, which is not enough to worry about on a car battery, measure the standby current with a dvm, then you will know.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
In my experience with similar devices, no. I leave mine plugged in all the time and have never had a problem. That said, if this was in very cold weather and the car was to be parked far away from power, I would be nervous leaving it connected.

It's easy enough to test the quiescent current draw - just use your multimeter on the 200mA range setting. The leads go in series with the adapter, NOT parallel across the power leads.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If you assume a standby current of, say, 10mA then the converter will use 0.01 x 24 x 7 = 1.68Ah of energy per week. That's not much out of a typical automotive battery.