Question about wave equations on a transmission line

subatomic particle

Joined May 8, 2018
Hello guys,
i was using the wave equations (without time dependency) to calculate the votlage on a specific point (z=zo) on a transmission line.
My question is, to which time point is my answer valid? Like the answer i am getting by solving the wave equations is for t=? Do i consider t=0? But i am assuming that at t=0 the wave still didn't propagate which is making it for me not understandable. Any help??
Thank you!!!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Time independent means that the equation and the solutions are not functions of time which means they are valid for all time. They represent what are called standing waves, that is waves that are stationary. A better definition of z and the parameter γ would be helpful, as well as the original equation.

It should be noted that when using "separation of variables" to solve a differential equation, that the complete solution is obtained by forming the product of the time independent and the time dependent solutions.

subatomic particle

Joined May 8, 2018
Time independent means that the equation and the solutions are not functions of time which means they are valid for all time. They represent what are called standing waves, that is waves that are stationary. A better definition of z and the parameter γ would be helpful, as well as the original equation.

It should be noted that when using "separation of variables" to solve a differential equation, that the complete solution is obtained by forming the product of the time independent and the time dependent solutions.
Thanks for your reply
but in Order to get a standing wave, the whole wave should reflect back and not part of it right?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for your reply
but in Order to get a standing wave, the whole wave should reflect back and not part of it right?
Do you understand how "separation of variables" works in obtaining a solution to a differential equation? The time independent solution does not exist in isolation. Physically both solutions exist simultaneously and are connected by a multiplication operator.