Question about powering a project

MostroW

Joined Sep 10, 2020
Hello people,

I am working on a small hobby project but hit a snag now i want to power my project.
This project is powered by a adapter that supplies 5v 6A, and it powers my computer board and a powered USB hub.

But i don't want to have to pull or push the power plug from the adapter everytime i want to use it.
Now i was designing my case and wanted to use a latching pushbutton to switch the project on or off, however i see that most switches are rated for 2A and for as far as my knowledge reaches for now i understand that no one likes to push a hot button.

Is there a way to switch my project on and off using either a latching or momentary switch button?
I've looked at 1 channel relays but i can't work out just yet if that is suited for my type of project or not?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hello people,

I am working on a small hobby project but hit a snag now i want to power my project.
This project is powered by a adapter that supplies 5v 6A, and it powers my computer board and a powered USB hub.

But i don't want to have to pull or push the power plug from the adapter everytime i want to use it.
Now i was designing my case and wanted to use a latching pushbutton to switch the project on or off, however i see that most switches are rated for 2A and for as far as my knowledge reaches for now i understand that no one likes to push a hot button.

Is there a way to switch my project on and off using either a latching or momentary switch button?
I've looked at 1 channel relays but i can't work out just yet if that is suited for my type of project or not?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Why not use a toggle switch?

MostroW

Joined Sep 10, 2020
The switch should be n the AC input. If your project uses 5V 6A, the drain on the AC will be be way under 1A
But it's an external power brick and i would like to have the switch on the projects case if possible?

Why not use a toggle switch?
The way the case was designed (for now at least) was 1 latch and 3 momentary switches because they are all the same and on the front of the case.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If you only have a low current switch, and the switching must be inside the case, then you could use the switch to operate a relay which switches the power to the rest of the project.

Alternative idea:
If you fit a power socket and plug on the case, you could bring the power into the case, then the relay switch (or just the mechanical switch if it can handle the power voltage), then to the power output. Plug the wall wart in to the power output. Now the switch can switch the power going to wall wart.

MostroW

Joined Sep 10, 2020
If you only have a low current switch, and the switching must be inside the case, then you could use the switch to operate a relay which switches the power to the rest of the project.

Alternative idea:
If you fit a power socket and plug on the case, you could bring the power into the case, then the relay switch (or just the mechanical switch if it can handle the power voltage), then to the power output. Plug the wall wart in to the power output. Now the switch can switch the power going to wall wart.
Would this be a suitable relay? https://www.tinytronics.nl/shop/en/others/relay/5v-relay-1-channel-high-active-or-low-active
It says up to 28v with 10A switching capability, so 5v 6A shouldn't be a problem right?

Together with: https://www.tinytronics.nl/shop/en/...utton-16mm-on-off-with-3-6v-blue-led-lighting
to switch on and off, i would've liked a momentary switch better though that would probably require another or additional board to keep track of switching signals.

I've searched a lot on the web to see if there were any available articles on the subject of matter but i couldn't find anything on that subject, or maybe i used the wrong search terms?