Question about LED power

JSWarner

Joined May 20, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am working on an electronic circuit project, and I have a question about power supplies.

The circuit uses a microcontroller with a couple different sensors, and a string of a few dozen LEDs.

The microcontroller and sensors together draw only a couple hundred milliamps of current, while the LEDs draw approximately 1.5 amps. All components have the same operating voltage.

A friend told me I may want to consider using separate voltage regulators...one for the LEDs alone, and one for everything else. I didn't understand his reasoning so I thought I'd ask here. Is this necessary? Are there any good reasons I would want to use separate regulators?

Thank you,

JSWarner

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You want to keep the ground return path from the microcontroller/sensors separate from the ground return from the high power circuits all the way to the negative terminal of the common power supply.

If the sensors are ratiometric, then by all means use a separate low-current regulator for them and the A/D reference pin...

Since the LEDs should be driven by a constant-current regulator, then there is no need to voltage-regulate the LED supply.

JSWarner

Joined May 20, 2015
Thank you for replying MikeML.

Since the LEDs should be driven by a constant-current regulator, then there is no need to voltage-regulate the LED supply.
I should have been more clear about the LEDs I'm using; my apologies. They are programmable RGB LEDs, and each LED has its own embedded driver chip which handles the current regulation. The only requirement is that the logic-high level of the programming signal is the same as the supply voltage. Since the microcontroller I/O levels are 0-3.3V, I need to use a 3.3V rail to power the LEDs as well (not wanting to deal with level shifters for the programming signal).

If the sensors are ratiometric, then by all means use a separate low-current regulator for them and the A/D reference pin...
No issues there, the sensors are not ratiometric.

You want to keep the ground return path from the microcontroller/sensors separate from the ground return from the high power circuits all the way to the negative terminal of the common power supply.
So as long as I keep the ground returns separate, there shouldn't be issues using a single regulator?

JSWarner

Joined May 20, 2015
Does the LED spec allow a supply voltage as low as that?

Edit: Mike beat me to it ;).
Hi Alect_t, thank you for responding. The spec allows for supply voltage as low as 3.5V (datasheet is posted above). I've been using 3.3V with no adverse effects so far. Other than the LEDs not turning on or being dim, neither of which is a problem, are there any other concerns with undershooting that spec?

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Drawing a high current around a digital circuit has two prominant pitfalls. The first is it may load down your power supply, hence your friends recommendation to use two separate supplies (or two regulators).

The next is ground bounce, or the effect of the LED current causing a voltage drop in the ground leg of the micro. The best fix for that is to join these two section right at the regulator so their currents have the shortest path to effect each other.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am working on an electronic circuit project, and I have a question about power supplies.

The circuit uses a microcontroller with a couple different sensors, and a string of a few dozen LEDs.

The microcontroller and sensors together draw only a couple hundred milliamps of current, while the LEDs draw approximately 1.5 amps. All components have the same operating voltage.

A friend told me I may want to consider using separate voltage regulators...one for the LEDs alone, and one for everything else. I didn't understand his reasoning so I thought I'd ask here. Is this necessary? Are there any good reasons I would want to use separate regulators?

Thank you,

JSWarner
You don't have to drive the LEDs at 20 mA. 5 mA or even less can light them enough for most purposes.