question about charge controller project

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
i think its control the voltage !
mosfet reduce the solar voltage to the battery volatge
If you're so smart why did you ask the question? I think it is a voltage controlled current source. The control is PWM and it is true that the voltage increases along with the current when the switch is on and it decreases with the current when the switch is off.

afm707

Joined Oct 24, 2016
If you're so smart why did you ask the question? I think it is a voltage controlled current source. The control is PWM and it is true that the voltage increases along with the current when the switch is on and it decreases with the current when the switch is off.
he write that the mosfet control the voltage i don't know ، i just ask you to give me more details

so as you say it control both the voltage and current ?

can i charge a NiCd battery ?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
he write that the mosfet control the voltage i don't know ، i just ask you to give me more details

so as you say it control both the voltage and current ?

can i charge a NiCd battery ?
Well look at the characteristic curves for the device. Don't they show drain current as a function of Vds with Vgs as a parameter. Draw a load line and notice how when you increase Vgs you increase Id and decrease Vds. It is true that the Arduino is monitoring load voltage. I would infer from this that there is a battery charging voltage profile that the Arduino is looking for such that, as the battery approaches it's fully charged voltage the charging current and thus the duty cycle is reduced to what is called a trickle charge.

As long as you can monitor what is happening with the battery there are numerous designs that can be used. I don't see any facility to monitor battery temperature. Seems to me that would be a useful feature.

Last edited:

afm707

Joined Oct 24, 2016
Well look at the characteristic curves for the device. Don't they show drain current as a function of Vds with Vgs as a parameter. Draw a load line and notice how when you increase Vgs you increase Id and decrease Vds. It is true that the Arduino is monitoring load voltage. I would infer from this that there is a battery charging voltage profile that the Arduino is looking for such that, as the battery approaches it's fully charged voltage the charging current and thus the duty cycle is reduced to what is called a trickle charge.

As long as you can monitor what is happening with the battery there are numerous designs that can be used. I don't see any facility to monitor battery temperature. Seems to me that would be a useful feature.
temp. sensor not a solution to monitor NiCd battery ?

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
the art of getting others to help you is to help others help you. for example, no one is going to click through some unknown links and register for a website just to help you, no matter how nice or good looking you are.

So if you want to get help from others, help them help you.

afm707

Joined Oct 24, 2016
the art of getting others to help you is to help others help you. for example, no one is going to click through some unknown links and register for a website just to help you, no matter how nice or good looking you are.

So if you want to get help from others, help them help you.
if i can help i will of course

thanks sir