Question about audio.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
He asked if he could use a six conductor cable to hook 2 mics, I didn't know how to answer that.

What will happen? All six conductors are shielded. Will both pick up audio from the other or not?

kv

Edit: These are not Phantom Powered Mics either.

Last edited:

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
As long as the conductors are individually shielded it should be ok. But you may get problems if their is just one common shield.
I have used 2 wire shielded cable to run quite a length as a cheap way of running a couple of mics, and unbalanced at that. But each wire had its own shield.
Mic snake cables usually have each mic pair insulated from the others as well as each has its own shield.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
As long as the conductors are individually shielded it should be ok. But you may get problems if their is just one common shield.
I have used 2 wire shielded cable to run quite a length as a cheap way of running a couple of mics, and unbalanced at that. But each wire had its own shield.
Mic snake cables usually have each mic pair insulated from the others as well as each has its own shield.
I thought there might be cross talk, they only have shield around six pair. We finally had an Audio Engineer respond to our request, he essentially said it might but would be minimal. I warned against it, but didn't know.

kv