Question about AC servo motor driver

Davor Krpan

Joined Feb 1, 2019
Hello,
Does anyone know what means when AC servo motor driver displays error code for "regenerative discharge", and stops working. What this mean in practical situation. This happens from 1 - to 10 minuts after turning on. If it helps, servo motor is for one axis of cnc cutting machine. AC servo motor driver is "panasonic msda023a1a", and error code is "Err_18". Thanks.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hello,
Does anyone know what means when AC servo motor driver displays error code for "regenerative discharge", and stops working. What this mean in practical situation. This happens from 1 - to 10 minuts after turning on. If it helps, servo motor is for one axis of cnc cutting machine. AC servo motor driver is "panasonic msda023a1a", and error code is "Err_18". Thanks.
See page 67 of the manual: https://industrial.panasonic.com/content/data/MT/PDF/minas_a_e.pdf

It appears you need an external regenerative discharge resistor because the internal one is insufficient.

Davor Krpan

Joined Feb 1, 2019
See page 67 of the manual: https://industrial.panasonic.com/content/data/MT/PDF/minas_a_e.pdf

It appears you need an external regenerative discharge resistor because the internal one is insufficient.
Is it the same thing if that alarm happens when motor is not running, 2-5 minuts after power is on? I have UPS (uninterruptible power supply) that is old and now is started to beep for overloading, that started same time when happening when this error started. Can UPS couse this, or is this just beeping because fault on motor or driver?
PS UPS beeping and that error are not happening all the time, but now is more often.

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Is it the same thing if that alarm happens when motor is not running, 2-5 minuts after power is on?
Given that I don’t have such a controller, I couldn’t tell you—but the first thing I would do it disconnect the motor and see if the behavior is the same, at which point I’d assume there is a fault in the controller.

It would seem that the error, under proper operating conditions, could only occur when the motor was running, but it’s hard to tell from a brief look at the manual.

Maybe there is a forum specific to this gear that would have direct experience with it.

EDIT;

Is there an external resistor in place? If so, does it test to it’s expected value? If not, is the jumper in place?

Davor Krpan

Joined Feb 1, 2019
It has his own regenerative discharge resistor, but you can add external. It only confuses me couse it happens when motor is not running. How can regenerative discharge resistor be overloaded when motor is not working?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I understand your confusion. There may well be a fault in the controller but not knowing how the controller does testing of the load I can’t be sure if this is normal operation or not, hence the questions at the end of the last comment.

Here are the questions I would answer:

Does it operate at all as expected (i.e.: run until the error occurs)?
Does the error occur with no motor connected?
Is the external resistor jumper in place?
If you put an external resistor in place, does the error occur?

Davor Krpan

Joined Feb 1, 2019
It does operate all as expected, when there is no error code. Starting, working, stoping everything as usual.
Error always happen when motor is not working.
I didn't try to disconnect motor.
I don't have external resistor, only his own, and motor was working for 8 years without problem. Everything is in place.
This is maual of motor and driver https://industrial.panasonic.com/content/data/MT/PDF/minas_a_e.pdf
Error code is Err_18.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If things have been working until this point, my first suspicion would be a fault in the controller.
Are you planning to try to repair the controller yourself? If not, the only thing I can recommend is seeing if the internal resistor is faulty and an external one would fix the problem. Looking at the manual, this requires some programming of the controller. Can you do that?

If not, I'd look for a replacement, and they look reasonably cheap on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-...h=item4d887edd8f:g:rPUAAOSwhfRcM-EG:rk:3:pf:0

~300 to 500 USD.

Good luck.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Is it the same thing if that alarm happens when motor is not running, 2-5 minuts after power is on? I have UPS (uninterruptible power supply) that is old and now is started to beep for overloading, that started same time when happening when this error started. Can UPS couse this, or is this just beeping because fault on motor or driver?
PS UPS beeping and that error are not happening all the time, but now is more often.
It is quite possible, because the UPS does not allow the drive to return any power to the line.. You could verify this by bypassing the UPS and running powering the drive directly.
The comment in post #2 about the external resistor is certainly valid. During every speed reduction time the motor is acting like a generator and that power must go some place. I have seen stepper motor drives burn up because of that exact thing. So I definitely recommend adding the resistor as stated in the manual, in addition to doing the UPS check I suggested.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
These alarms are usually generated on high DC bus voltage. When the motor is regenerating, it's pumping all it's rotational energy into the drive's internal DC bus, and if the drive can't dissipate that energy fast enough, it generates an alarm. The DC bus could high for other reasons though. Incoming supply could be high. I have seen this on machines designed for use on 380V-440V, and used on N. American 480V which is higher than nominal , over 500V.

P.s. I have a customer with several atom flashcut machines. I like them. They have good tech support in the USA; not sure where you are. If you'd like a number for those guys, PM me.

Last edited: