Question about a 555 Timer chip

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
absf, GopherT, my thanks to you both! Your selflessness and patience (in addition to attention to detail) is rarely found outside of close friends or family.

I can now move on to my next task.... Adding a lithium ion battery, charging circuit, and QI wireless charger. Any experience with those?
Yes, be very careful with lithium ion batteries. I recommend a store-bought charger with UL or CSA certification. Don't burn your house down (equivalent to "you'll shoot your eye out").

sydcomebak

Joined Dec 13, 2011
GopherT: Thanks. Size is a major factor so I need to find a small Lithium Ion that will run this thing continuously for 3+hrs.

Allen, that's really clean! I'm very impressed!

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
absf That's a very clear wiring diagram of a breadboard. How do you make it? Whenever I have transferred a circuit diagram to a breadboard I always get a mess. Is there a downloadable way of transferring it as you have done? Would appreciate any advice.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
absf That's a very clear wiring diagram of a breadboard. How do you make it? Whenever I have transferred a circuit diagram to a breadboard I always get a mess. Is there a downloadable way of transferring it as you have done? Would appreciate any advice.
It looks like a open source program called "Fritzing Fab" was used to create that breadboard. Its a little clumsy to use but the concept is interesting.

www.fritzing.org

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
@absf
Allen,

Looks good except the jumpers connecting the red-striped power rails to the black-stripe rail.

Which software is that? fritzing or other?
Yes, this was the first time I use that program. It is called fritzing as eetech00 has pointed out.

When I do breadboading I like to keep the Vcc on the outer lane and the Gnd on the inner lane. I guess the wire color is very clear about it. But, I think it was everyone's own choice.

I do have another program called "DIY layout creater" which I use more often. The program is for creating vero board with long copper strips and donuts. It can also create simple PCB if prefers. You can google for it as I have forgotten the site where I downloaded it.

DIY layout creator.PNG

Looks something like above.

Allen

Last edited:

sydcomebak

Joined Dec 13, 2011
I have been trying to create a single-layer circuitboard layout for the previously discussed project. I added 3 more LEDs in parallel:

Capture_SM.PNG
I think this works, but I'm told I need to create a Gerber file and I have never done that before. The octagon is 1 3/8" across side-to-side or 1 1/2" vertex to vertex. The red dots are a switch mounted on the other side of the board through hole and the blue dots are the coin battery mount through-hole. All other components will be surface mount.

I spent a lot of time unwinding this bad boy and I'm actually pretty proud of it and interested to see if I did it correctly!

(Edit: Did not ground Pin 1 earlier)

Last edited: