Question about a 24V geared motor and Voltage regulator

Lerior

Joined Jan 18, 2018
Hello,

I'm using a voltage regulator (DC-DC) that will take 5V input from my arduino and step it up to 24V straight to power a DC motor. The motor specs are: 24V, 250W, 3300RPM (No load), and 0.8 Nm torque. It is classified as a geared motor. From my understanding, the motor needs about 10.4A (P=IV) to run at its full potential. However, the voltage regulator that I purchased has a maximum of 10A output that will be send to the motor to run it. So my question is, will that affect the voltage regulator (Increase its power dissipation?) and burn it, or is it going to be sufficient enough for the motor to work? Thank you.

Lerior

Joined Jan 18, 2018
So your arduino can supply over 60 amps?

10.4 * 24/5 * 1/0.8 = 62.4 amps
This is a group project and one of our team members is responsible for arduino. This is my first time trying to learn about arduinos, what is your suggestion to prevent that? Initial plan is:

The programmed arduino is going to control membrane switches (to control the direction of the motor), and send a voltage signal (5V) to voltage/power regulator up to 24V.

I'm using a voltage regulator (DC-DC) that will take 5V input from my arduino and step it up to 24V straight to power a DC motor. The motor specs are: 24V, 250W, 3300RPM (No load), and 0.8 Nm torque. It is classified as a geared motor.
You probably should go the other way around. The system supply being the larger power/voltage and the Arduino power derived from the higher power and voltage,

The motor torque is proportional to I and the motor RPM is loosely proportional to V = Vm-I*Im where Vm is the voltage across the motor which is largely an unknown. When I is zero the motor acts as a tachometer.

The motor has inductance, BUT the supply has to be able to deliver the locked rotor ) amps for a short time.

Old 8-track decks used to use the V-Im*R method to control RPM.

If the motor is a DC permanent magnet type of motor then PWM is usually used. This keeps the torque near the max for the motor at nearly all RPM's.

Better and more complex control would be obtained by a BLDC motor. e.g. brushless 3-phase. That's more complex to control.

Power dissipation is primarily the voltage dropped across the component(s) * the current. PWM increases the efficiency becase the controlling devices are either full on or full off.