Query: Gain Control Circuit

SaurinM

Joined Jun 20, 2020
Good evening, they recommended this forum to try to answer my question.
I wanted to know if anyone can give me a hand in the analysis of the following circuit. Because she can't find her way back.
I hope you can help me.
Regards.
1592692500705.png

SaurinM

Joined Jun 20, 2020
The circuit if it works, at the output we have an attenuated signal with respect to the input. But I cannot find the logic of its operation.
1592695742012.png

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Maybe: as the input signal gets bigger, the rectified input across C4 increases turning on Q2 more and sending more current through D3 and D4. Thus the impedance of D4 falls attenuating the output signal more. So as the input rises, the output gets more attenuated. That would make it a compressor or automatic volume control or automatic level control.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Yes, Q1 and R2 are just there to fill an empty spot on the PCB :oops: but that doesn't prevent the voltage doubler rectifier working.
Any comment on using a variably forward biased as an attenuator?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Can't you see (and hear) the severe distortion on the sinewave? The attenuator is not linear.

A Jfet is usually used as an attenuator since it produces low distortion when its signal level is 100mV or less, especially when half the signal voltage is fed to its gate.