Quartz Hard Drives

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Sounds like it would last forever but what happens to all the hardware to access the data??? Not to mention that not too far into the future it would be childish gibberish.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Sounds like it would last forever but what happens to all the hardware to access the data??? Not to mention that not too far into the future it would be childish gibberish.
Hi,

Well it's all just par for the course. Even the old tape drives of the 70's required mechanisms to read them. The quest for ever increasing amounts of data storage on ever decreasing physical area. There are even 'worse' ways of doing it but the lifetime of the storage medium is much lower. I think this one holds the record for longest life.

Well all of that is unless you like storing your data on papyrus stuffed into earthenware jars :)

here is something else to think about....
Within 2 years of it introduction there were over 300 million people on the "Cloud".

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Clay tablets worked better than papyrus but then we had one heck of a time trying to decipher them and even then there is a lot of dispute over the translations. My point is that of course silica-based media is durable as all get out, much better than clay, paper, plastic or magnetic, but in 1000 years who will be able to decode it even if they can read it...

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Clay tablets worked better than papyrus but then we had one heck of a time trying to decipher them and even then there is a lot of dispute over the translations. My point is that of course silica-based media is durable as all get out, much better than clay, paper, plastic or magnetic, but in 1000 years who will be able to decode it even if they can read it...
Several messages in spacecrafts were launched. How we could be sure that any entity far out there could be able to decipher any of them?

Binary you mean? What is that?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Yeah i see what you mean.

I guess the real goal is 100 years, 200, or like that, more every day purposes.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
How we could be sure that any entity far out there could be able to decipher any of them
About as well as the members of the Russian Army in WWII when they first encountered flush toilets. They were ripping them out to take home to show off the newfangled potato washers they had found.