quantum computing

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Is this possible for quntum computer to see the future.I have read that it can give the answer before u asked the question.
Surely this would be quite a disturbing possibility should it be feasible. Where exactly have you got the idea of quantum computers being able to see into the future?

No it is not possible, just as it is not possible to travel backward in time.
I'm going to disgree there Papabravo, I spend most days at work travelling backwards! :D

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi,

This is similar to Asimov's thiotimoline, that dissolves one minute before water is added to it.
How can you question Asimov's Thiotimoline, he demonstrated its workings in his paper titled: "The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline". Who could question that the carbon in the Thiotimoline molecule has one atom projecting into the future and one into the past! :eek: :D :p

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Actually, the model of the logic in a quantum computer being in all possible states at once makes it conceptually hard to decide if any one transistor is open, shorted, or working. I'd hate to write a compiler for one:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Actually, the model of the logic in a quantum computer being in all possible states at once makes it conceptually hard to decide if any one transistor is open, shorted, or working. I'd hate to write a compiler for one:
SELECT CASE (ANY)
CASE EVERYINSTANCE
DO ALL
NEVER END SELECT

Could be a bit strange for all states to be true and false all the time. Hard to tell what was going on unless the computer actually caught fire.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Hi,

This is actually why some people say that quantum computer can predict the future. In this case not really the future, but the result of a calculation even before the calculation's result is obtained. If all the possible states can exist at once, then it follows that all the possible results are exist.

It's a far reaching field, which needs considerable might to understand and even more to apply in any useful scenario.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
This is actually why some people say that quantum computer can predict the future. In this case not really the future, but the result of a calculation even before the calculation's result is obtained. If all the possible states can exist at once, then it follows that all the possible results are exist.

It's a far reaching field, which needs considerable might to understand and even more to apply in any useful scenario.
But then that would mean it is predicting all possible future permutations, and for it to be a true prediction of the future we would still need to interpret the result (i.e. the whole idea of converting data into information) - since that would mean we need to see into the future then the validity of the data from the quantum computer is irrelevant.

From the little musings I have had with quantum computers, from what I can see the key advantage is that since multiple states can co-exist we can perform multiple-level calculations therefore increasing the computational capabilities over conventional computers.

Dave

sci-3d

Joined Aug 22, 2006
Making logic gate from binary state of electron spin up an spin down may be far away from our time. However, some day in the future, this will be real.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
But then that would mean it is predicting all possible future permutations, and for it to be a true prediction of the future we would still need to interpret the result (i.e. the whole idea of converting data into information) - since that would mean we need to see into the future then the validity of the data from the quantum computer is irrelevant.
Not a problem. We can use politicians to interpret the data. They are almost always predicting the furture. After the fact they almost always predict they were right.

Sort of a "fuzzy quantum." :)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Not a problem. We can use politicians to interpret the data. They are almost always predicting the furture. After the fact they almost always predict they were right.

Sort of a "fuzzy quantum." :)
:D Like it!!

We finally have a use for our politicians. Ol' Tony Blair might be advised to look into this as a potential career move since he has very little time left as one of them.

Dave

xphere

Joined Sep 29, 2006
We see into the future all the time, the problem is bringing back the information before the present. The fact is that we usually see the future just in time for it to become present.
;)

So the problem is perspective and how to change perspective instantaneously from all perspectives to any perspective. Which im pretty sure quantum theory says can't happen.

(i think i need more coffee)

Hi all:)

The whole area of quantum computing is fascinating. The photon is probably going to be the electron of the future. Photonics will be my specialty, so I want to learn all I can. Thank you all for your sense of humor, as a lot of this stuff is heavy going.:eek:

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
Yes. The quantum computer will provide you with the prescient answer of "42" -- but then you will have to build a much more powerful computer to figure out the question.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Yes. The quantum computer will provide you with the prescient answer of "42" -- but then you will have to build a much more powerful computer to figure out the question.
I always thought the question was: "What is the meaning of life?"

It would help if I'd actually read the book!

Dave