Quantity Pic Programming

Icanmakeit67

Joined Sep 23, 2018
This is a new experience for me so hoping for guidance…
I have a project and I’m using a Pic Microcontroller. I paid an engineer to design the program I need. Now I want to program groups of 20/one at a time, Using MPLAB. I have created the project and am using a PicKit4 as the device to program the 16F1847 pics. My question: the MPLAB software is confusing. I have been successful in programming a pic but can I get some input on the most efficient/ least number of steps to program the next pic and the next until my group of 20 are all programmed and then the proper way to close out of the software and the restart steps for the next batch of 20 at a later date. I have read sooo.. many different approaches that just confuse me.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Icanmakeit67

Joined Sep 23, 2018
https://microchip.my.site.com/s/article/Automate-MPLAB-programming-process-using-command-lineIPECMD

You can find documentation about the command line at this location : "<install_directory>/microchip/mplabx/<your_mplabx_ide_version>/mplab_platform/mplab_ipe/modules/ext/Readme for IPECMD.htm"
Many thanks but to someone who has never open MPLAB until now for my current project this seem even more confusing. Maybe I need to take a class at my local community college

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Many thanks but to someone who has never open MPLAB until now for my current project this seem even more confusing. Maybe I need to take a class at my local community college
You can also use the programmer MPLAB IPE front-end if you want a typical windows interface. it can be locked down for production programming.
1702058905586.png

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
RTFM (read the fine manual).

If you are confused, ask a question, quoting the text that confuses you.

A community college course would not help in any way, it would not cover this topic.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
For your next project, Microchip will sell you the part, with the program on it, and even a label for what has got to be a tiny fraction of the value of your time. Their Programming Services page is here, and the cost lookup tool is here.

And, no, amazingly there are no minimum quantities—unless you consider 1 a minimum…

1702061555070.png
using the cost lookup tool to price out a randomly selected PIC, you can get real prices

Icanmakeit67

Joined Sep 23, 2018
For your next project, Microchip will sell you the part, with the program on it, and even a label for what has got to be a tiny fraction of the value of your time. Their Programming Services page is here, and the cost lookup tool is here.

And, no, amazingly there are no minimum quantities—unless you consider 1 a minimum…

View attachment 309517
using the cost lookup tool to price out a randomly selected PIC, you can get real prices
It so happens I have another project beginning. Awesome idea Thanks.

I just thought that those with experience would be familiar with the software. Know what I was looking at after just clicking the (downpointed/green program icon) on the top of the screen. The PicKit 4 has turned from blue to green and I have removed a pic that now has, correct, tested program. The PicKit4 is still green and I want to program the next chip. I have been unplugging the usb connection to the PicKit4, replugging it in and resetting for the same device. Is there no few clicks of whatever to reset and then reload a Pic and hit the green down arrow again?

Icanmakeit67

Joined Sep 23, 2018
RTFM (read the fine manual).

If you are confused, ask a question, quoting the text that confuses you.

A community college course would not help in any way, it would not cover this topic.
I just thought that someone that has used the software before would know a few simple quick steps to go from having just clicked the (down/green arrow icon) and programmed the first Pic microcontroller and then removed it from the PicKit4 programming device, to how to make a couple clicks and reset and drop in another chip and program that one and the same for the next and the next it just doesn’t seem to be very simple. I program the pic with a PicKit4, its indicator LED turns from blue to green. I remove the Pic microcontroller and it test ok. I should have a defined step list for reset of PicKit4 to then be drop in another chip and hit the down green programming icon again . Over and over

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

I just thought that those with experience would be familiar with the software. Know what I was looking at after just clicking the (downpointed/green program icon) on the top of the screen. The PicKit 4 has turned from blue to green and I have removed a pic that now has, correct, tested program. The PicKit4 is still green and I want to program the next chip. I have been unplugging the usb connection to the PicKit4, replugging it in and resetting for the same device. Is there no few clicks of whatever to reset and then reload a Pic and hit the green down arrow again?
Check the maintain debugger connection option. You might want to turn that off or on depending on what you're doing.

https://microchipdeveloper.com/xwiki/bin/view/software-tools/x/configuration/run-faster/

I reprogrammed (clicked the (down/green arrow icon) ) the same board 3 times in 10 seconds, each time removing and reinserting the PCB programming header from the pickit.
1702065197296.png
1702065227208.png

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019

Seriously, the suggestion of using the command line tool is actually the someone with experience would do it. You only have to slog through the creation of the command line once, then you can just do that over and over.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013

Just swap in the next board, right click on the project, and select “Make and Program Device.”

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Here is the command line I use:

IPECMD -TPPK4 -P24F16KA102 -FFOO.HEX -M -W -OL

replace the pic name and the .hex file name with yours. RTFM to see what each option dies. I do not remember, and I will not look ir up when you can.

Icanmakeit67

Joined Sep 23, 2018
Check the maintain debugger connection option. You might want to turn that off or on depending on what you're doing.

https://microchipdeveloper.com/xwiki/bin/view/software-tools/x/configuration/run-faster/

I reprogrammed (clicked the (down/green arrow icon) ) the same board 3 times in 10 seconds, each time removing and reinserting the PCB programming header from the pickit.
View attachment 309524
View attachment 309525
I got it. Now I see what to do and your explanation helped. Thank You so much

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I hated MPLab the moment I saw it. It seems like a vast thing that tries to do too much stuff, and makes it too difficult for the user to select what's actually needed. I use Northern Software's single-chip programmer and its accompanying software, and it's always worked well for me.

Icanmakeit67

Joined Sep 23, 2018
I hated MPLab the moment I saw it. It seems like a vast thing that tries to do too much stuff, and makes it too difficult for the user to select what's actually needed. I use Northern Software's single-chip programmer and its accompanying software, and it's always worked well for me.
Thanks. I’m new to the Pic programming issue. I agree that MPLAB is vast and confusing. I hired the code written for a project and have another that will require more programming. I finally got this project done using a PicKit4. One other person advised me about this other company and I am debating about spending the money to buy this programmer. If for no other reason than to see if it’s really easier…….not sure