Pyramid Gold Series Amplifier question

Dmoney7195

Joined Apr 2, 2019
I managed to get this and a pair of sub woofers for free that someone was throwing out, the subs work nicely for their age I have yet to hook up the amplifier

Recently I have been very curious with electronics and circuits so I’ve been opening and investigating broken electronics including the amplifier

I noticed immediately what I believe it most likely the issue. I have attached picture of bottom of PCB, you can see in the center there is a copper colored strip that appears to be seperated from board where-as the other connections all seem to have a solid solder “weld” all covering the connections.

If I solder over this strip and reconnect it will this fix that problem? Or is that not something that will work ?

Sorry if my question seems elementary, like I said I am a beginner!

Any help or thoughts on it would be appreciated! THANKS!

-Dmoney7195

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I’d take a piece of wire without insulation and lay it along the entire length and then tack it down on the good spots where the trace is still connected.

Whatever caused that damage may still be an issue.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Are there anything indications of heat? That’s what I’m thinking caused the problem - a long trace with not enough copper for whatever current it was carrying. So it may have been caused by another component failing or it was a bad design. Hard to know.

Dmoney7195

Joined Apr 2, 2019
I’d take a piece of wire without insulation and lay it along the entire length and then tack it down on the good spots where the trace is still connected.

Whatever caused that damage may still be an issue.

Any ideas on what might have caused it? I seen on the opposite side there might be some capacitors that leaked out could they be responsible?

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Any ideas on what might have caused it? I seen on the opposite side there might be some capacitors that leaked out could they be responsible?
That’s yes, hell yes. Replacing every electrolytic on the board isn’t a bad idea. Some, maybe most, are fine but it’s easier to just replace them than diagnose them.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Any suggestions on places to purchase the electrolytics from? Or components in general?

Thanks for your input!
Where are you? I've had luck finding capacitors at a good price on Amazon but in general, and for a an order with multiple parts, I'd go to Mouser. Digikey and Newark are fine, too.

Dmoney7195

Joined Apr 2, 2019
Where are you? I've had luck finding capacitors at a good price on Amazon but in general, and for a an order with multiple parts, I'd go to Mouser. Digikey and Newark are fine, too.

Eastern PA not really any physical locations around here from what I’ve researched. I will check out those sites though I appreciate your input!

-Dmoney7195