pwm of AC single phase (ceiling fan) caps motor with chopper

mtalent

Joined Oct 2, 2017
I built a switch that will control speed of the fan by mimicking the pull chain mechanical switch in a ceiling fan with an H-bridge for motor direction control. It works fantastic however you have to open up the fan cut out the mechanical switch and attach the wires to the pcb.

I was perusing the web and found a device that all you do is connect it between the house mains and the fan itself without opening up or modifying the fan at all. You set the fan on high and the light on and then they are able to control fan speed just like a dimmer and that has to be PWM.

After a day or so of study it looks like a AC chopper is the best way to go... I found this

I can get everything but the IGBT from my local electro guru. I live in Colorado and electronics stores seem to be few and far between .... long story short they don't have FRY's. However this guy seems to have most everything and is willing to sell for cash but no IGBT (I ordered from digi-key but it's going to take around a week) I would be curious if there is a possible replacement for this that might be more available.

Any recommendations on the type of diode I would need?

Anyhow my question is will this circuit work.

thanks
Mark