put electronic load on output

digitsboy

Joined Dec 29, 2016
I want to test 2 outputs of a product with a big electronic load to test the endurance.
The following:
Input: 3 phase 400V.
2 output ports:
1 phase is going through a triac and a fuse to the first output. so output is 230Vrms
another phase is going to triac and a fuse to the second output. so output is 230Vrms

The electronic load is a DC load. So my idea was to convert both outputs with a single phase bridge rectifier to DC and than put the load on it. I want to put 2kW on both outputs.

my question is.
Can I just put one load on the two outputs and must the load value then be 2kW or 4kW?
And what if the outputs have the same source? so if they use the same phase input.

Edit: I also have another idea maybe what could work. is to use a 3 phase rectifier connect both outputs to it and then put a load to the single DC output.

i am just a starter in electronics so i am curious if this is possible like the way i am thinking?
thanks in advance!

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
I want to test 2 outputs of a product with a big electronic load to test the endurance.
The following:
Input: 3 phase 400V.
2 output ports:
1 phase is going through a triac and a fuse to the first output. so output is 230Vrms
another phase is going to triac and a fuse to the second output. so output is 230Vrms

The electronic load is a DC load. So my idea was to convert both outputs with a single phase bridge rectifier to DC and than put the load on it. I want to put 2kW on both outputs.

my question is.
Can I just put one load on the two outputs and must the load value then be 2kW or 4kW?
And what if the outputs have the same source? so if they use the same phase input.

Edit: I also have another idea maybe what could work. is to use a 3 phase rectifier connect both outputs to it and then put a load to the single DC output.

i am just a starter in electronics so i am curious if this is possible like the way i am thinking?
thanks in advance!
As a starter you should not play with high voltage. The dc voltage will run up tp 1.4 x ac ==> 320+ Volt

I will not put you in danger!!!

Picbuster

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
keeping your eye on the prev post
Can I just put one load on the two outputs
the phases are usually unequal - where i live floating from 212 to 264 V.RMS (about the limits specified by the power company)

1. in case of the independent loads -- the power delivered to each load is different
  2. in case of the ! parallel rectifiers ! -- the higher voltage "phase"/rectifier gets most of the load

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
You are using a three-phase AC source, but only plan to load two of those....Am I understanding correctly?

Also,
-Each output is a different phase, referred to neutral.
-You plan to full wave rectify each output to convert it to pulsing DC
-Then add both DC outputs to a SINGLE load.
If my understanding is correct, the answer is: no. Don't do it, the negative output of each rectified phase no longer will be neutral!

On the other hand, if you add a proper three-phase full bridge rectifier, it could be done. But as I mentioned earlier, it will be an unbalanced load.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016