pulse motor circuit help

jasonspinmaster

Joined Mar 1, 2008
i am making a pulse motor with 6 magnets.
i am using an optic sensor (OPB 876) as the trigger, and not a reed switch. i can fire where i need on the magnet all of the time.
my circuit is a ne 555 timer as a schmitt switch.
i am getting a very small pulse but the faster it goes the smaller the pulse gets.
power supply is a 12 volt motor bike battery
col resistance is 10 ohms
i am really new at this, which i hope you under stand

Attachments

jasonspinmaster

Joined Mar 1, 2008
I would help if you could explain what you perceive is the problem, and how you would like it to be resolved.
i see the problem as the transistor does not saturate fully. to resolve it i think placing a 1k resistor from base to postive, to place more current in the base. or place the resistor to ground to source the base. ??????????
not to sure but i am really new at this

jasonspinmaster

Joined Mar 1, 2008
Jason,

If you want a constant-width output pulse, regardless of the input pulse frequency, you need to change the NE555 circuit to a "monostable".

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html#2

This contains a calculator, so you can select the component values for the timing you need. :)

Ken
hi ken ,
i have tryed a monostable circuit, but i need to fire the coil when the optic sensor is bloked, not with a resistor and cap.
i need 12 volts to pass through the coil for the time the sensor is bloked

jason

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
With your detector schematic, the length of time the sensor is blocked gets shorter with the increase in speed/pulse-rate. Is the output of your 555 not the same width as the input pulse width?

ken

jasonspinmaster

Joined Mar 1, 2008
With your detector schematic, the length of time the sensor is blocked gets shorter with the increase in speed/pulse-rate. Is the output of your 555 not the same width as the input pulse width?

ken
hi ken
i am really new at this.
i understand that the fast it gets the shorter the pulse, but i am not putting the full 12 volts in to the coils from the start.
i am using a scmitt switch so the pulse width, in, should be the same, as going out !!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:
i have placed a LED in a test circuit and it lights up ONLY when it is BLOKED.
pin 2 on the 555 timer is 1/3 the supply 4.5 volts (round about).
jason

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
hi ken ,
i have tryed a monostable circuit, but i need to fire the coil when the optic sensor is bloked, not with a resistor and cap.
i need 12 volts to pass through the coil for the time the sensor is bloked

jason
The optocoupler circuit you posted should fire the monostable when the light is blocked. If it will light an LED (with a resistor in series) when the light is blocked, it should be able to trigger the 555 in monostable mode.

I think you are saying that the motor is not getting full voltage. How are you measuring the voltage?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Do you have an o-scope to see what's happening? What's the resistance of the coil? What's the voltage at pin 2 when the detector is lighted and when blocked?

Ken

jasonspinmaster

Joined Mar 1, 2008
Do you have an o-scope to see what's happening? What's the resistance of the coil? What's the voltage at pin 2 when the detector is lighted and when blocked?

Ken
i have just recieved my new o-scope. i am getting out off pin 3 (0.7volts). i need to increase this to about 2 volts to trigger the TIP 120 transistor

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
The output at pin 3 should be switching between about zero to near the supply voltage. The TIP120 only requires about 12mA for a 3A collector current (datasheet) so a 1KΩ base resistor should be enough for a 10Ω coil. The 555 is capable of supplying 200mA to drive the transistor. Have you tried testing the transistor output by not using the 555, and just connecting the 1KΩ base resistor to the +12v? Does it work? Remember that Vsat on that transistor is ~2v, so you should see the collector switch between +2v and +12v.

Ken

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
jasonspinmaster,

The TIP120 has a spec'd gain (Hfe) of 1000. So to drive a 12v/10Ω relay, a 3.3KΩ resistor between pin 3 of the 555 and the base should provide adequate drive to guaranty saturation of the transistor, and allow cutoff too.

A 2N3055 has a gain of only 20 to 70, so would require a lot more drive current to saturate it...about 50mA. Maybe 270Ω to the base.

Ken

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Hi Ken,
hFE, current gain and beta are used for a linear transistor that has lots of volts between its collector and emitter. The saturation voltage loss is spec'd with a base current of 1/20th, 1/10th and 1/3rd the collector current.

The TIP120 darlington is spec'd with a saturation voltage loss when its base current is 1/250th its collector current. Not 1/1000th. Its current gain is a minimum of 1000 when it has at least 3V between its collector and emitter so it is not saturated.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Audioguru,

You're right about the Hfe and switching. I suggested a base resistor for the TIP120 that would probably be adequate for a real gain of 300. For the 2N3055 I was thinking maybe a gain of 20. Not bench tested so just a guess as a starting point for them.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: