pulse delay

kballing

Joined Jun 18, 2007
Hi all,
I've designed a circuit that seems to work well, but I've overlooked one small thing.

The circuit controls two solenoid valves. A signal triggers a monostable multivibrator which converts that pulse to a longer pulse. As is stands right now, a button is pushed and the output signal turns on both valves for 300ms. What I need to have happen is this. I push a button and valve one turns on for 300ms and then after the 300ms, valve 2 turns on for more than 300ms. What sort of circuit element do I need to insert to delay the signal to valve 2?

You can think of it as an arm throwing a ball. Valve 1 makes the arm move, and valve 2 lets go of the ball so to speak, without closing too soon.

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
Hi all,
I push a button and valve one turns on for 300ms and then after the 300ms, valve 2 turns on for more than 300ms. What sort of circuit element do I need to insert to delay the signal to valve 2?
Another monostable. Have one monostable trigger a second one.

(* jcl *)

gootee

Joined Apr 24, 2007
It sounds like you might need to come up with a simple circuit that will generate a trigger pulse from a falling pulse edge but not from a rising edge. Then you could use that to trigger your second monostable from the end of the first monostable's pulse.

If you would give the details of the existing and the needed pulse voltages, available supply voltages, etc, someone will probably come up with a simple circuit for you. It should be able to be done with just a few discrete components, or maybe a logic gate or two.

It sounds like you might be able to just use an inverter to feed the output of the first monostable to the input of the second one. But give us the details of what you have and what you need.

- Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

-

kballing

Joined Jun 18, 2007
The signals that I have are this
Pushbutton _______i--------i___________________________________
monostable ________i--------300ms----------i____________________
What I need from
monostable2 ______________________________i---------------i_______
I could use the signal from monostable 1 to trigger monostable 2 but I need a delay and it is not simply an inverted signal.

kballing

Joined Jun 18, 2007
the monostable multivibrator is part SN74LS123, all the signals are 5V and the pulse width is controlled by an external RC circuit

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
The signals that I have are this
Pushbutton _______i--------i___________________________________
monostable ________i--------300ms----------i____________________
What I need from
monostable2 ______________________________i---------------i_______
I could use the signal from monostable 1 to trigger monostable 2 but I need a delay and it is not simply an inverted signal.
Delay the trigger of monostable2 using an RC and a schmitt trigger buffer.

(* jcl *)