Pulled terminals

Churator

Joined May 17, 2017
Hi,

I'm trying to fix baby camera, where the Infrared LED is not working.
It's a 850nm 1W led if that matter

I've mistakenly pulled the terminals that connect the led to the PCB
how can I trace them ?
Second question: Part of the led still stuck there, I've tried heat gun, Iron, knife, its stuck. Any suggestions ?

20170517_085734.jpg 20170517_230555.jpg

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My first suggestion is a question: How do you know the LED was bad to begin with?

Those ripped up traces would be sought to repair but you might be able to simply hard wire - with pieces of wire - to bypass the broken area. To do this, you'll need to find where the traces went and a spot where you can attach a wire. It's not impossible to repair traces with various techniques, but it's far easier to just bypass the break if you can.

The LED was likely attached to that aluminum piece with heat sink material, possibly an adhesive. Do you have the new LED in hand? It's a little hard to tell from the photo just what needs to come off the board and what should stay.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Trace repair: scrape the protective coating off and bridge the crack with one or more tiny wire strands, then solder them down, or...connect a wire to the good side of the break and run the wire straight to the LED.

I'd be helping more, but I'm stumped. I have never seen that kind of LED mount.

Churator

Joined May 17, 2017
My first suggestion is a question: How do you know the LED was bad to begin with?
Its open on both direction, and won't light up on 5V inline, so I could only guess.
I've tried to trace the circuit and hardwire it, but I can't find the trace :(

Trace repair: scrape the protective coating off and bridge the crack with one or more tiny wire strands, then solder them down, or...connect a wire to the good side of the break and run the wire straight to the LED.

I'd be helping more, but I'm stumped. I have never seen that kind of LED mount.
The mount is just stuck there :(

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
1W Led needs to be heatsinked.
The body of the LED is soldered to the PCB tracks to dissipate heat.
You need heat to take it out.
use a Hot gun to heat without heating the surrounding too much and then you can lift the broken LED.