Public Behavior That Pushes Your "Rage Button"

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The woman called over a store employee to help. Not once, but TWICE! How hard can it be to checkout ONE item. Twenty minutes later, she completed her transaction.
The employee should have never let her struggle for 20 minutes.

It's common for our self serve checkouts to form a single line and the person in front takes the next available station. So no one would get stuck behind a slow person.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Here's another one. :mad:

People who seem to be compelled to open and read their mail right in front of the mailbox in my apartment building........... and block access to anyone else getting access to their box.

I felt like telling her that her the letters she's reading will say the exact same thing when she gets in her apartment. By the way, is there an emoticon in the formatting bar that has horns growing out of its head? :p

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
We were talking about this after a recent trip to the airport. The check in kiosks can be confusing to some people. After all the interface was designed to be used by anyone no matter what their background. My suggestion is to have two groups of kiosks, one for these everyones and then another for experienced travellers. The experienced travelers will have their documents ready and can zip right through with minimal guidance. The others will accept more detailed directions to get through the process and on their way. Anyone want to invest in my idea?

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
We were talking about this after a recent trip to the airport. The check in kiosks can be confusing to some people. After all the interface was designed to be used by anyone no matter what their background. My suggestion is to have two groups of kiosks, one for these everyones and then another for experienced travellers. The experienced travelers will have their documents ready and can zip right through with minimal guidance. The others will accept more detailed directions to get through the process and on their way. Anyone want to invest in my idea?
I would separate them into two diffent groups - working and non-working

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Do you really need separate kiosks? Wouldn't an entry screen that simply had you press one button for expedited processing for experienced travelers and another for those wishing more detailed instructions?

Or perhaps just a "Need more help" button on every screen that gives a couple levels of help to those needing it while letting the experienced travelers move through quicker.

My 'nomination' (Re: rage-inducing public behaviour) goes to waitstaff who insist upon 'checking back' every 'freeking' 5 minutes!:rolleyes: --- Even more annoying is their habit of standing mutely by - ostensibly awaiting an opportune lull in the conversation that they might unobtrusively interject parrot said superfluous inquiry! --- Methinks 'little waiters have big ears'!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

For me it's ppl violating my _space_ when there's plenty of room for everyone!
Times ∞!^∞! and then some!o_O

Best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Elevators, so I round the corner to see someone take the stairs and I need to go up, people get off coming down from the 5th floor, I hit the 5th floor button, but without knowing the person who took the stairs hit the down button in the hall without me knowing, plus someone has already hit the up button from the first floor.

So, down I go then people get on and hit every floor on the way up. Not only did I have to go down but had to stop at every floor in the process or worse getting on an elevator where some kid has hit every floor on the way up and you can't deselect them, the buttons should have 2 states on-off.

Not to mention the door open and door close buttons are disconnected because they're only there to help people control stress, it's like a squeeze ball for frustration.

I know this because one of my Colleagues said his father was in the elevator repair business, I said for real, he said yup believe it they don't work.

kv

Last edited:

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Checkout line idiots do it for me, especially when the person in front of me spends 5 minutes arguing with the clerk about whether or not a 25-cents-off coupon applies to the product they're buying or whether or not it's expired.

I suspect that for some of these people, holding up the works gives them a sense of power and importance; for others, they're simply self-centered and oblivious.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Public Behavior That Pushes Your "Rage Button"

Here is one I forgot but it isn't so much public. Personally I don't wear a ball cap hat. Nothing against them I just never got into wearing them. While I have no clue as to why sitting down at a table to eat wearing a hat, any hat, just trips my trigger. At work we had a lunch room we set up rather nicely. One day Bob comes in and plops himself down at my table, well the table I was sitting at. A few of my co-workers knew about my thing with wearing a ball cap at the table. They knew what was coming. I nicely told Bob it was poor manners to wear a hat at a meal table. So he takes this dirty filthy hat off and plops it down right beside my sandwich. I went into my ballistic mode. :)

Now in a public restaurant like McDonald's it's fine, I think there is even a clause in the Bill of Rights granting people a right to wear a ball cap at a table but not in my house and I considered the workplace and extension of my kitchen table.

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Here is one I forgot but it isn't so much public. Personally I don't wear a ball cap hat. Nothing against them I just never got into wearing them. While I have no clue as to why sitting down at a table to eat wearing a hat, any hat, just trips my trigger. .
but not in my house
Ron
I agree, Something that always irks me also in restaurants.
I guess it stems from being raised in another time I imagine, I was very surprised seeing something when watching a TV show the other day and very rarely seen these days, was when a member of the female sex leaves a table, the men stand.
Although now with equality etc its may seem a little obsolete.
I still am used to opening doors for the opposite sex.
Max.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I agree, Something that always irks me also in restaurants.
I guess it stems from being raised in another time I imagine, I was very surprised seeing something when watching a TV show the other day and very rarely seen these days, was when a member of the female sex leaves a table, the men stand.
Although now with equality etc its may seem a little obsolete.
I still am used to opening doors for the opposite sex.
Max.
Would you believe that I still do those things? My son picked up those habits from me. I stand when a woman comes to or leaves the table and pull out a chair. I also open and close doors. car doors, truck doors, all doors. It's just how I learned how things were done. It's amazing how many women actually really appreciate the recognition and manners.Then too, some just look at you like what are you doing? :)

Ron

This has happened so many times I've lost count.

Someone will stop and stand right in the middle of the sidewalk and fiddle with their phone. When I try to go around them, they immediately start walking forward and cut me off..
YES - be more aware of what is going on around you and be polite. Step to one side, do what you need to do on your phone, then continue on after looking around you. You have to look when you cross the road, why can't you look before you walk out in front of people!? So frustrating

iou2

Joined Nov 12, 2018
People who wear earphones/headphones/earbuds (whatever you want to call them) when they are driving - don't you think that it is dangerous not being able to hear what is going on around you??

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
People who wear earphones/headphones/earbuds (whatever you want to call them) when they are driving - don't you think that it is dangerous not being able to hear what is going on around you??
AFAIK, there's no law preventing deaf people from driving. Not wise to intentionally impair hearing, but there are a lot of stupid people in the world.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
AFAIK, there's no law preventing deaf people from driving. Not wise to intentionally impair hearing, but there are a lot of stupid people in the world.
While there is no law precluding deaf people from driving there are laws in many states, Ohio being one of them which preclude driving with headphones:
Wearing headphones or earphones in both ears simultaneously for the purposes of receiving or listening to broadcasts or reproductions from radios, tape decks, or other sound-producing or transmitting devices, is not permitted while driving.
The actual ORC (Ohio Revised Code) reads a little like:
4511.84 Earphones or earplugs on operator prohibited.

(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones over, or earplugs in, both ears. As used in this section, "earphones" means any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device that provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and that covers all or a portion of both ears. "Earphones" does not include speakers or other listening devices that are built into protective headgear.

(B) This section does not apply to:

(1) Any person wearing a hearing aid;

(2) Law enforcement personnel while on duty;

(3) Fire department personnel and emergency medical service personnel while on duty;

(4) Any person engaged in the operation of equipment for use in the maintenance or repair of any highway;

(5) Any person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment.

(C) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 10-30-1989.
Interesting as #4 are among those the laws are trying to protect. Anyway, I guess it depends on the state.

Ron

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
While there is no law precluding deaf people from driving there are laws in many states, Ohio being one of them which preclude driving with headphones:

The actual ORC (Ohio Revised Code) reads a little like:

Interesting as #4 are among those the laws are trying to protect. Anyway, I guess it depends on the state.

Ron
Gotta love the list of exceptions. Trash truck drivers can listen to music but postal workers can't? And what is it about the people in that list of exceptions that warrants an exception at all? If it's because they are engaged in work activities, then why should commercial drivers of all kinds be on the list?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Gotta love the list of exceptions. Trash truck drivers can listen to music but postal workers can't? And what is it about the people in that list of exceptions that warrants an exception at all? If it's because they are engaged in work activities, then why should commercial drivers of all kinds be on the list?
Yeah, that was my thinking. Guy collecting trash listening to music at a high volume steps into an oncoming motor vehicle, so who is at fault? We have had RTA (Regional Transit Authority) bus driver run over a pedestrian while on her cell phone. Took forever to fire her from the job. The list just goes on and on of stupid things getting people killed and yet we see exemptions of which some I can understand while others leave me dumbfounded.

Ron