Public Behavior That Pushes Your "Rage Button"

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
There's road rage, air rage, checkout line rage, deli line rage, and now I've found a new one: self service copier rage. :mad:

I went into a FedEx/Kinkos shop today to make a copy of only three sheets. However, there were two people using the only two self service copiers. One of them was a guy that had turned the copier into a "home office" and he had a stack of documents 3 inches thick that he was filling out with pen and copying one sheet at a time.To add more misery, he started "whiting out" some lines and writing over them.............. and copying them one at a time. :mad:

Then the other copier was being used by a woman who was so confused she acted like she was trying to learn how to program the guidance system for the space shuttle. She had a rack of documents 1/2 inch thick and she finally figured out how to use the self feed tray........... or so she thought. However she put them in upside down and all the copies came out blank and she had to do them all over again. :mad:

To add more misery, both of them were using their credit card to pay for the copies by inserting it into a reader next to the machine. However, they apparently didn't know how to select the check out option and how to print out a receipt. The clerk came over to assist them and that took another 5 minutes. :mad:

I must have been in line for at least 20 minutes just to copy 3 sheets and about ready to erupt like a volcano. However, I some how manged to make it through another episode of public stupidity without blowing my top. :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The improper treatment of kids in public is hard to watch. Kids occasionally act up and need discipline. Everyone gets that. But we can tell when the kid has not been disciplined much before, when out of the public eye. The sudden new discipline is a surprise to them. When the parent is quick to resort to arm yanking, yelling and belittling, we can all see that they haven’t been practicing other parenting skills at home. They’ve been raising monsters and know how to use just one tool, violence. Sad to see.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I was in the check out line and a woman had a very young boy that was continuously yelling and crying. She finally smacked the kid like she was practicing for a round with Mike Tyson. I felt like telling her that she was getting a bit tough with the kid, but I bit my tongue. You never know if an argument with a stranger might escalate to the equivalent of a world war.

barretbronte

Joined Oct 29, 2018
I can not stand people who stop and talk with their friends/family members right in the middle of the pathway - MOVE OVER TO THE SIDE PEOPLE. It's great that you want to chat, but do not take up the whole path while you hold a conversation - please move to side and let people continue to walk past. And then, what grinds my gears even more, is when you politely ask them to move and they get cranky at you like you've inconvenienced them :mad:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I get cranked when I park as far out in the parking lot find a space in the middle five space each side, go into the store only to return to my car with a car parked next to me, why can't they park next to the other guy's either side of me

But no the crack heads always find my car every time it seems.

kv

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I get cranked when I park as far out in the parking lot find a space in the middle five space each side, go into the store only to return to my car with a car parked next to me, why can't they park next to the other guy's either side of me

But no the crack heads always find my car every time it seems.

kv
The other guy wonders the exact same thing you do. They probably do park next to the other guy's car just as often as they do yours, it's just that you don't notice those instances -- and why should you?

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
The other guy wonders the exact same thing you do. They probably do park next to the other guy's car just as often as they do yours, it's just that you don't notice those instances -- and why should you?
I was going to say, I am sorry if I am that person... But I cant be, we live too far apart

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The improper treatment of kids in public is hard to watch. Kids occasionally act up and need discipline. Everyone gets that. But we can tell when the kid has not been disciplined much before, when out of the public eye. The sudden new discipline is a surprise to them. When the parent is quick to resort to arm yanking, yelling and belittling, we can all see that they haven’t been practicing other parenting skills at home. They’ve been raising monsters and know how to use just one tool, violence. Sad to see.
Back when my daughter was four or five we stopped at McDonald's and were eating in the McPlayland (or whatever they call it) and there was this kid that was a year or two older than her that was being a royal terror and completely ignoring (when not flat out refusing to obey) his parents repeated instructions. Absolutely no consequences for his bad behavior at all. This went on the entire time we were there. One of the things he did was took these huge plastic Lego-like building blocks that were sitting on a Lego-like table and threw them all over the place (and his parents said nothing, of course). Out of curiosity, as we were finishing up I said to my daughter something like, "You know, it would be really nice if you picked up all the building blocks that are scattered around and stacked them on that table." She got up and went and did it without any fuss -- I'm not sure, but I had the impression she was so compliant in part because of the example the other kid was setting, but I didn't ask her. Since we were sitting right next to this family, they of course overheard. The mother remarked how she wished her son were so well behaved. I simply said that she likes the consequences when she behaves enough more than the ones when she doesn't that she rarely misbehaves. Fortunately, that's still true to this day (for me, anyway -- her mother would say something quite different).

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
After I posted I began to think, maybe it's safety in numbers. They know that because I'm so aware of someone banging a car door into mine, my almost perfect 92 Lexus SC400 coup says my driver won't bang his door against yours. Now they have to only worry about another car on the other side doing the same. :D

My car is show room ready, but the insurance would never be able to cover cost let alone replacement cost or parts availability.

kv

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I can not stand people who stop and talk with their friends/family members right in the middle of the pathway - MOVE OVER TO THE SIDE PEOPLE. It's great that you want to chat, but do not take up the whole path while you hold a conversation - please move to side and let people continue to walk past. And then, what grinds my gears even more, is when you politely ask them to move and they get cranky at you like you've inconvenienced them :mad:
This has happened so many times I've lost count.

Someone will stop and stand right in the middle of the sidewalk and fiddle with their phone. When I try to go around them, they immediately start walking forward and cut me off..

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Someone will stop and stand right in the middle of the sidewalk and fiddle with their phone. When I try to go around them, they immediately start walking forward and cut me off..
There was an incident in southern California a year or so ago. Some guy was walking on the beach talking on his phone on Christmas day. He walked off a cliff or embankment and killed himself.

People need to realize that they're not that important and they can't talk on their phone and do something else at the same time.

One of my pet peeves with people and their phones is when you walk beside someone talking on their phone and they turn to the side and hit you in the face with their arm. Used to happen to me all the time at work.

Another is why does everyone have to yell when they're on the phone? I was in the library once and there was this guy yelling. A librarian went to him and told him that he needed to be quiet. He told her he was just talking on his phone. She repeated to him that he needed to be quiet. Some people.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
There’s a reason
Another is why does everyone have to yell when they're on the phone?
I’ve been told that the reason for this is that cell phones don’t have circuitry that connects the microphone to the ear speaker. Like on old fashioned phones your voice is routed from the mouthpiece to the earpiece so it’s easy to hear yourself. On a cell phone you only hear what you said after it’s bounced around the room and back to your ear.

Is this actually true? Or just another random falsehood that I’ve been clinging to as fact?

But back to me, what ticks me off is people with dogs not on leash. Our local bike path and park has signs requiring dogs be leashed but that means nothing to a large percentage of dog owners. I sometimes say something but just get abuse for my trouble. Like today there was a group on the disc course that was yelling and cursing and with a little dog running around. All three things the disc advocates assured us would not be a problem when the neighbors objected to the course being established.

A month ago the park guys put one of those large electronic signs along the path. The kind you would see along the freeway warning of construction ahead. It warned of strict enforcement of the leash law. I came tootling along on my bike and saw that and started laughing so hard I practically crashed. There were two guys with off leash dogs strolling right in front of the sign.

Sigh.

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018
What upsets me most is when people are out for dinner in a group and still latched to their cell phones. Its a little annoying and I am always vocal about phones in the pocket, when out with the family. We must keep gadgets away a little (they are anyways eating the rest of our time).

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Behavior that Really Irks me.
How does someone think he owns the right to change the way of life of a people that appear perfectly happy living the way they are.
History has been littered with the destruction of isolated tribal peoples just because the invader has no concern of the consequences or they think they have the right to 'Change' or 'Convert' them.
In this case, the irresponsible person got himself killed, but he could have just as well wiped them all out with a common cold germ, the fact of just handling his body puts them in jeopardy .

An American missionary killed on a remote Indian island by a tribe he was hoping to convert reportedly wrote a letter to his parents asking them not to be ‘mad at them or at God’ if he was killed.
John Allen Chau, 26. was reportedly shot dead with arrows when he arrived at North Sentinel Island.
A post from his family on his Instagram account said he was reported killed while “reaching out to members of the Sentinelese Tribe in the Andaman Islands.”

Max.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
History has been littered with the destruction of isolated tribal peoples just because the invader has no concern of the consequences or they think they have the right to 'Change' or 'Convert' them.
In this case, the irresponsible person got himself killed, but he could have just as well wiped them all out with a common cold germ, the fact of just handling his body puts them in jeopardy .
Just another example of a fanatical idiot who felt he was above the law and was going to save those people; even if he had to kill all of them to do it.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I’ve been told that the reason for this is that cell phones don’t have circuitry that connects the microphone to the ear speaker. Like on old fashioned phones your voice is routed from the mouthpiece to the earpiece so it’s easy to hear yourself. On a cell phone you only hear what you said after it’s bounced around the room and back to your ear.

Is this actually true? Or just another random falsehood that I’ve been clinging to as fact?
Myth. The phone only covers, at most, one ear, so you should be able to hear what you're saying with the other one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidetone

upload_2018-11-23_14-6-5.png