Protel Manuals

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Please do not hijack another users thread. I have moved your question to its own thread where it will get better exposure.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
We have a manual that came with our Protel 99. Where are the manuals that came with your package?
I was under the impression from the OP that they were looking for tutorial manuals/guides - having not seen the Protel manuals that come with the device I cannot comment whether these would be suitable in this respect.

Dave

marinmeister

Joined Feb 12, 2007
I don't have the manuals because i did not buy my PROTEL, i got it from one of my teachers at school but i cannot go to my teacher, because i moved out of town......
I have a project that i need to do in 2 weeks so i would like a quick readable book plus some examples; i do have some experience in Mentor Graphic's PADS but i don't like their simulator plus they don't have the 3d look of the circuit and the integradet simulation is simply overwhelming........ i mean once i stayed 2 hour until i was able to simulate a NOR gate......

P.S.: I did not want to flood the forum with threads so i posted in the most relevant section

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I was under the impression from the OP that they were looking for tutorial manuals/guides - having not seen the Protel manuals that come with the device I cannot comment whether these would be suitable in this respect.

Dave
The actual request was for "quick learning manuals or any manuals".
I would have to say that the manuals we have were not very user friendly especially with respect to abandoning the flat file structure and going to an Access database for storing and recovering the files.

My other major gripe with this software is the negation bars above pin names are printed all over the page EXCEPT over the pin name that they are attached to. This happens on three differen laser printers and one plotter. The company told us to go bleep in our hats after we dropped 6.5 kilobucks on a one seat license.

Outside of the official Protel documentation I've seen absolutely zero in terms of "quick learning manuals" or even so much as a Protel cookbook. I don't know if the company would take a positive view or a negative view of someone outside the company who published such a thing. I think anyone who did might have a DMCA problem.

BTW if you have a student version of a piece of software is it legitimate to continue using it after you have left the university? I'm just curious.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
BTW if you have a student version of a piece of software is it legitimate to continue using it after you have left the university? I'm just curious.
This largely depends on the conditions of the software EULA. For example, if you were to obtain a copy of say MS Office Student, the EULA states that as long as you were a legitimate student at the time of purchase then you amy continue to use the software once you are no longer a student. Now if you were to obtain a copy of Matlab Student, the EULA states that once you cease to be a student you may not continue using Matlab under a student license and hence must purchase a full license (at ~$1900 US prices IIRC).

Mostly student version software is just crippled commercial software which is not of much use to commercial users, and as a result irrespective of what the EULA says they don't care whether you are using it as a student or not.

Dave

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I find there is a strong correlation between the cost of the commercial version and the willingness to wink at the uses of the crippled or student versions. In actuality he didn't say weather the version he has is a student version or not. He just said that he got it from his instructor; there was no further ellaboration.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I find there is a strong correlation between the cost of the commercial version and the willingness to wink at the uses of the crippled or student versions. In actuality he didn't say weather the version he has is a student version or not. He just said that he got it from his instructor; there was no further ellaboration.
Typically, people enrolled on academic courses can get access to full versions (not Student versions) of the software through academic licenses administered via remote licenses and VPN clients. I agree though, some software is criminally expensive and often cannot be justified at the cost they are asking for (a good example is commercial EM codes which range into tens-of-thousands of pounds for a 1-year license!). Although I am not condoning it, it does encourage people to look elsewhere for software. And now we must be careful about what we say.

Dave

marinmeister

Joined Feb 12, 2007
I kinda found some quick tips on Protel they were written by a teacher at my current school for absolute begginers. :) I could use some other manuals for future things..... BTW i am still a student just not at the same school. And by what i know my version is protel 99 client full :) thanks