Protections needed when powering a device from a cigarette lighter receptacle

Abbas_BrainAlive

Joined Feb 21, 2018
Hello all.

I am working on a device that falls in the category of consumer electronics and needs to be deployed in a car. The device is to be powered from the cigarette lighter receptacle in the car. What kind of transients and fluctuations I should expect from the power supply (the cigarette lighter receptacle), and what different kinds of protections should I employ in order to protect the device from any damages?

Any guidance is really appreciated.

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Hello all.

I am working on a device that falls in the category of consumer electronics and needs to be deployed in a car. The device is to be powered from the cigarette lighter receptacle in the car. What kind of transients and fluctuations I should expect from the power supply (the cigarette lighter receptacle), and what different kinds of protections should I employ in order to protect the device from any damages?

Any guidance is really appreciated.
Transient Spikes in an Automotive Electrical System
https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/...utomotive_tvs_diodes_application_note.pdf.pdf

NV64

Joined Feb 15, 2019
What kind of transients and fluctuations I should expect from the power supply (the cigarette lighter receptacle)
Different voltage when running(up to 14.4 V) and the engine is muted (Less than 11 V). If the voltage regulator of the car generator fails, it is possible to increase the voltage of more than 15 V. spikes. Possible voltage surges when starting the engine and when turning on and off powerful consumers. Such as air conditioning, interior heater and so on.
what different kinds of protections should I employ in order to protect the device from any damages?
It is desirable for the fuse. Correctly calculated for the current consumed by your device. I would recommend you to use a ready DC / DC Converter. As a rule, it also has protection.