proportional amplifier to control dc valve

mah

Joined Mar 15, 2010
i want your ideas to do a circuit that amplify input signal 0-10 V to 5-24 v to control a 24 v proportional dc valve

Mod edit: The Completed Projects Forum is for Completed Projects only. It is meant to allow members to show plans for projects they built so other members can duplicate them if desired. New threads are also automatically moderated per Moderator review for this reason. Your thread does not belong in this forum, and was moved here.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would look at using something like the OPA551, it is good for ±30v swing at 300ma so you would need a NPN/PNP push-pull output to drive the valve.
Max.

mah

Joined Mar 15, 2010
but why should i use this type of opamp? why couldn't use it to drive mosfet that could hold high current instead of opamp?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
but why should i use this type of opamp? why couldn't use it to drive mosfet that could hold high current instead of opamp?
You didn't look far enough down the page. Apex sells some 3A ones.

In a previous life, I bought hundreds of that type of opamp from Apex.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The normal way of controlling this kind of valve is to drive it with a current that is proportional to the input control voltage, not a voltage proportional to the input.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The normal way of controlling this kind of valve is to drive it with a current that is proportional to the input control voltage, not a voltage proportional to the input.
That is basically the method I used in #16, in CNC applications where ±10vdc analogue is the source.
Feedback via encoder.
this will operate as a voltage follower. when there is positve output the npn will work and connects +v to the valve then 1A passed and blow up the npn
The circuit shown has been around for a long time used in EDM machines etc.
You can limit the maximum freq by resistor in the collectors if needed, or on the output.
Max.

Last edited:

mah

Joined Mar 15, 2010
did you see the operation in the link ? i want to do something like this.i don't mind to do it with current but also the valve shouldn't mind