Properly powering 20T Brushed Motor and measuring Amps

Zphx

Joined Mar 8, 2016
Hi all,

I am working on a project that consists of me creating a motor driver,
but before I can get to that, I am trying to measure how much voltage and amps are on a 20T Brushed Motor.

I've measured the voltage on the brushed motor while being connected to an RC car running at full speed, which measured about roughly 5-7 Volts (depending on how charged the battery is.

I've thought about measuring the amps the same way (in series with the motor, but I'm afraid of any damage/hazard concerns.
I'm really just trying to see what it takes to get this motor spinning and/or what the typical current draw is for a motor such like this one.

The exact 20T Brushed Motor is the one described via this picture and link provided:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product...motors/dynamite-20-turn-brushed-motor-dyn1171
upload_2017-3-4_11-13-18.png

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Current will depend on load, if you want the full scale current, place a low known voltage across the armature leads and measure the current with a Locked rotor, calculate resistance for maximum current at stall.
Max.

Attachments

Zphx

Joined Mar 8, 2016
Current will depend on load, if you want the full scale current, place a low known voltage across the armature leads and measure the current with a Locked rotor, calculate resistance for maximum current at stall.
Max.
This helped out a lot, thank you very much for the help! :)