Proof reading error found

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Instead of splattering the forum with many threads, why not put your corrections into one thread?

Verified.

The “marble in a tube” analogy to electron conduction in Figure below relates the movement of holes with the movement of electrons. The marble represent electrons in a conductor, the tube. The movement of electrons from left to right as in a wire or N-type semiconductor is explained by an electron entering the tube at the left forcing the exit of an electron at the right. Conduction of N-type electrons occurrs in the conduction band. Compare that with the movement of a hole in the valence band.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Verified....

(a) Forward battery bias repells carriers toward junction, where recombination results in battery current. (b) Reverse battery bias attracts carriers toward battery terminals, away from junction. Depletion region thickness increases. No sustained battery current flows.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I merged all proofreading messages into one thread.
Thats why Bill_Marsden's reactions coma afther all error readings.

Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Proof read error #3...

Text "As the voltage is increases" - the word "is" is not required else "increases" should be "increased".
Verified

(a) Forward biased PN junction, (b) Corresponding diode schematic symbol (c) Silicon Diode I vs V characteristic curve.

If a diode is forward biased as in Figure above(a), current will increase slightly as voltage is increased from 0 V. In the case of a silicon diode a measurable current flows when the voltage approaches 0.6 V at (c). As the voltage is increases past 0.6 V, current increases considerably after the knee. Increasing the voltage well beyond 0.7 V may result in high enough current to destroy the diode. The forward voltage, VF, is a characteristic of the semiconductor: 0.6 to 0.7 V for silicon, 0.2 V for germanium, a few volts for Light Emitting Diodes (LED). The forward current ranges from a few mA for point contact diodes to 100 mA for small signal diodes to tens or thousands of amperes for power diodes.

Text "voltage approaches 0.6V at (c)" makes reference to "(c)" however there is no point (c) on the diagram (There is a diagram "(c)").
Not verified, there is indeed a diagram C on the illustration, and the verbage can be interpreted as referring to diagram (C). This will be reviewed by the editor and a decision made.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Error #4
Review section at bottom of page has unipolar spelled incorrectly as "unpoar".
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_2/10.html
Verified.
  • REVIEW:
  • MOSFET's are unipoar conduction devices, conduction with one type of charge carrier, like a FET, but unlike a BJT.
  • A MOSFET is a voltage controlled device like a FET. A gate voltage input controls the source to drain current.
  • The MOSFET gate draws no continuous current, except leakage. However, a considerable initial surge of current is required to charge the gate capacitance.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A practical application of a clipper is to prevent an amplified speech signal from overdriving a radio transmitter in Figure below. Over driving the transmitter generates spurious radio signals which causes interference with other stations. The clipper is a protective measure.

Clipper prevents over driving radio transmitter by voice peaks.
Verified...

Please see http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/metric.html

math proof error: 4 × (10 squared) kg is one value, 400kg. But 4.5 x (10 squared) and 4.500 x (10 squared) are a completely different value, not only in uncertainty, but in mass, by about 50 kg. I think.

I haven't figured out how to insert exponents so please forgive the non-standard bracketing. And many thanks to everyone who has contributed time and energy.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Worksheets are problematic. I think we need the proofchecks, but we don't really have a system at this time to correct them. It is and remains a problem, one that I have no power over. I'm explaining this because I know about the issue.

Typically exponents can be shown in simple text using the ^ character. 4 cubed can be expressed as 4^3.

1.414^2≈2

A long while back I made thread to help for special characters. It applies for a lot more than this site. I have it bookmarked.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?p=104455#post104455

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_6/6.html

1st paragraph reads:
The Q, quality factor, of a resonant circuit is a measure of the “goodness” or quality of a resonant circuit. A higher value for this figure of merit correspondes to a more narrow bandwith, which is desirable in many applications. More formally, Q is the ration of power stored to power dissipated in the circuit reactance and resistance, respectively:
"correspondes" should be "corresponds"
"ration" should be "ratio"