Projector screen wiring:basic question

Crowtsa

Joined Nov 3, 2014
Hi,
I recently disconnected my projector screen (which I've owned for 5 years) and foolishly did not not make a note of the connections. I trigger the screen using a hand held remote and its been working without fault.

The screen has one power lead housing the following wires:
Black
White
Green

I'm assuming that:
Black is live
White is neutral
Green is earth

BUT when I tried this combo it tripped my fuse box.

Is my assumption above correct and will I cause damage if I swap the wires around?

I am UK based 240v.

Thanks in advance of any help!
Crowtsa

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
those are the common colors used in AC power cables.
Check them using an Ohm meter. The black should be open to green one. the black and white should show a low resistance between them and the green should be connected with metal chassis parts or maybe just the circuit board if all plastic housing.

Crowtsa

Joined Nov 3, 2014
those are the common colors used in AC power cables.
Check them using an Ohm meter. The black should be open to green one. the black and white should show a low resistance between them and the green should be connected with metal chassis parts or maybe just the circuit board if all plastic housing.
Thanks K2.

When you say black should be open to green, can you clarify please? I'm still assuming that black is 'live/hot' and white is neural. However, I dont want to risk damaging the unit by trying again or getting them the wrong way round. Again, apologies to all if this is too basic for mots on here!! :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
In the U.S., 240V is delivered on two hot wires
... when I tried this combo it tripped my fuse box.
I find it very hard to believe that green is anything other than earth ground. Since it shouldn't matter how you connect the other two, I'm wondering if your fuse tripped for another reason.

Any chance you introduced a short somewhere else?