Project: Novelty 30 LED star

T.Jackson

Joined Nov 22, 2011
30 LED Novelty Star

:: Just in time for Xmas! ::
Sorry, most of my projects use software, and this one is no exception.
Source and hex files supplied. Uses cheap two-dollar controller.

Fig1. Front of board with all parts layed out

Fig2. Rear of vero board wired up

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not bad. Any chance you could get a short You Tube video? I use my old camera for jobs like this for show and tell.

It is not required, but it would show what it looks like powered up.

T.Jackson

Joined Nov 22, 2011
Not bad. Any chance you could get a short You Tube video?
I cannot see why not. The patterns go for a good minute or two before repeating. My connection is dial up, so as you can imagine, uploading a huge video of the whole thing would be painfully slow.

Won't this spoil the nice surprise when you switch it on after building it though? I have always found that the biggest reward after building something was to see it spring to life after applying power to it. If you see all of the patterns before hand then this could kill off the curosity of seeing it in all of its glory.

Had plans of doing another one where the user can create their own patterns on a PC programming by clicking the leds on or off in frames with definable rates, and then plug the board into the PC serial port to upload the patterns into an eeprom.

My idea of good patterns are likely not the same as the next person's being the reason.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not me. I am pure hobbiest. I am also old school, I've never done a PIC, Arduino, or Axe in my life. I was into coding during the late 70's and the 80's, with some assembly language, so I'm not unfamiliar with it. People keep offering to help me catch up, but I'm having too much fun.

Bill's Index