Project: My voice coil winder

vedmitraa

Joined Sep 29, 2010
Hello Mr. Riffa
Nice work done there . A small suggestion please give some support to other side of shaft as they do in transformer winding machine to avoid angulation in coil which is very important for voice coil.I am using same short of D.C. Motor for my P.C.B. drilling stand Machine. may i ask you any other Epoxy+resin combination apart from Araldite for Voice coil as many a times it can not take the temprature by 30 , 28 S.W.G. hermetic voice coil. Vedmitra Sharma from city of Tajmahal

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hello Mr. Riffa
Nice work done there . A small suggestion please give some support to other side of shaft as they do in transformer winding machine to avoid angulation in coil which is very important for voice coil.I am using same short of D.C. Motor for my P.C.B. drilling stand Machine. may i ask you any other Epoxy+resin combination apart from Araldite for Voice coil as many a times it can not take the temprature by 30 , 28 S.W.G. hermetic voice coil. Vedmitra Sharma from city of Tajmahal
Hey Welcome to AAC
I have done a lot on trying to identify what holds the voice coil without unraveling when it heats up.
Only thing for me that comes close to holding at 100°C is Araldite epoxy.
I don't know what u have in India. U have to research on trying different glue. When buying I read the specs on it's max working temperature. If it says it can withstand 100°C, then I bought it and tried.

I guess u have to do the same.
What we need actually is Voice coil bonder. I think I found one agent in India But he did not reply to me. So I did not bother calling him.

Try to find this glue, it is the best for voice coils. Noting comes close to it's strength with coil to kapton at high temps.

for Any thing else.
Just start a new thread. I will reply on anything u want. But keep in mind about the that instant reply is not possible as I have to work. But I am mostly here at midnight my time.

PS..Update ur profile in user CP settings. We will respond more easily that way. Eg:. add ur location and GT time too.

vedmitraa

Joined Sep 29, 2010
Thanks Mr. Rifa for the reply,Yes I am also using Araldite for my voice coils but am in search to find any other epoxy resin which can with stand more temprature as i use hermatic copper wire , insulation of this type of wire do not bur even in the flames.I went through your full article about coils.A very simple solution for holding the coil on kapton former is to make small holes in the former prior to winding the coil .put some teflon tape on bobbin to prevent sticking of kapton former to bobbin.any excessive araldite inside the former can be sanded with appropriate sand paper. this way coil will never come out of former at any temprature. only draw back of burning the araldite. thankin and hope that my tried out suggestion will help all

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Making holes is something I never thought of.
That would definitely hold the coil from slippage.

Will try that next time, I still have two more woofer on it's way
Thanks

Veek

Joined Oct 23, 2018
Making holes is something I never thought of.
That would definitely hold the coil from slippage.

Will try that next time, I still have two more woofer on it's way
Thanks
Sir, how did you do the calculations for the voice coil: I have a COSMIC 10" speaker (clipped sin wave 75W at 4 ohm) with a damaged coil that needs to be re-coned. I have the old voice coil but what gauge wire is it using and what are the number of turns and DC resistance. (Measuring says 4 ohms and diameter of the former is 4 cm. Height of winding is 1 cm) Also should I use Kapton because this speaker uses some kind of paper (could you advice on what paper I should use - Kraft Paper?)